Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Another Recevier Notching ?

manureman

The other posters question about notching recievers got me to thinking about a sporterized VZ-24 I ended up with a few years ago its a 257 Roberts Imp. that someone has done a pretty nice job of blueing and the stock is a very nice piece of tiger stripped walnut but the bolt handle is the awfullest butt ugly forged thing you ever saw and thats why I ended up with it for little of nothing thinking I would just weld on another handle and be good to go,well that was at the gunshow,then I got home and had time to think about it and mess with it and the recevier has been notched to the point that a straight bolt will cam over to far,I tried a Davis May forged in it and it also goes to far,but it does headspace right if it just didnt close to far.I've been thinking about trying to put some metal back with my mig welder just a spot at a time and using heat paste and really taking alot of time at it . Is this doable or not? Thanks Jim

Post a pic, I'd love to see. Presumably you are considering adding material back to the receiver? Yes, it is doable. Work fast & control the heat. Your main concern will be not to anneal the extractor cam surface. If you are quick and employ the measures you noted you should not have to worry about heat and teh front ring.

All you have to do is weld the bolt handle on lower - closer to the body and let it curve out. It will look like you made it that way on purpose. riceone.

Guys thanks for the replies,as far as other things being wrong...well maybe but it sure looks to me like one person did the bolt and somebody else did the rest .Riceone I'd thought about doing the very thing you suggested but after my other forged bolt headspaced I figured it would be less work to just ad some to the recevier as it aint gonna take much .. .040 +or -?? Z I'd post you a picture if I could but thats another thing on my long list of don't have a clue how to's.But while I've got your ear I'd like to trouble you for some more advice on recevier notching,some where in the other post ( the archived part you linked to???)you mentioned to horsefly that you wanted no forward movement as in none of the bolt when closed.Do you want the bolt notch to actually apply a little backward pressure to keep the bolt lugs seated against the recevier solid? I've never seen this and always have to apply pressure to the bolt face when lapping lugs but I got to wondering about it today while combining and now it's bugging me. Thanks Jim

You're taking me too literally. The bolt can move forward (if you push it) just like on an unaltered action. You just don't want the notch at the rear of the handle/root to cam the bolt forward. Likewise, I would not suggest trying to have the front of the notch cam the bolt rearward in an attempt to seat the lugs. The cartridge case should take care of that.

Now give me my ear back!

Hope that makes sense.

I think it would be easiest to add some weld to the receiver notch to build it back up.

That might be fine if the bottom of the bolt root or handle were too thin. Easier to add to receiver, plus, the bolt could then be used in any other receiver you might be inclinded to fit it to. If you put too much material on the bottom of the handle it would look pretty odd. It could easily make a nice gun look like crap.

Just my three centavos (adjusted for inflation).