Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Tyrvr, Rip

swamp_thing

With a heavy sadness, I regret to inform the fellow members here that knew him, that Tye Rivers(TYRVR) passed on early this morning in his sleep. Keep him and his family in your prayers. Rest in peace Ty, you'll be missed

Gentleman, I believe this was the same Ty that sometimes frequented this board. May he rest in peace and may God be with his family. If interested there is a thread from which I found this here. http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=251800

It"s hard to believe! Tye was one of those unique individuals that you felt blessed to have crossed paths with. He will be sorely missed. I am truly at a loss for words beyond that. I believe he was a Widower and had a married Daughter. I will keep her in my prayers. I will miss you Tye.

Tom

Tye and me go way back. He once posted that, since fritz dislikes me, maybe I should quit.

I replied to the contrary. I never disliked him (or anyone here, even if it appears that way sometimes). His voice was well spoken and observed, and I shall miss him.

Dammit, to the rest of you here, take good care of yourselves. Let us all live a full and happy life, regardless of how we get along. Life is too short to just go along with the status quo, when and if we see things differently.

Tye lived by this, and I will miss him.

fritz

fritz, if there is one thing I have learned from this it is that we are a family of sorts on these boards. Maybe we don't always see things the same way, but we are united through these sites. The loss of Ty has certainly driven this home for me and I for one don't mind saying I have an empty pit in my stomach from this news. I shall miss him greatly. You are right in saying that we need to stay well and live long lives, and I shall add that we not be strangers during the process. Dave

Sorry to read the news ....

Tye was possessed of an excellent sense of humour in spite of his generally surly tone. After a series of ferocious internet fights with 'yours truly', Tye 'accidentally' answered a question of mine on another forum. See here:

http://p205.ezboard.com/fsteyrmannlicherfr...opicID=18.topic

We got along ok after that. :lol:

Here is his profile from EZBoards:

TYRVR

Total Posts :: 5549

Buy Me ezSupporter!

My Personal Information

First Name :: private

Last Name :: private

Hobbies :: Minding My own damn business,

Personal Bio :: Born with a bad disposition and been getting worse since.I love guns and shooting more than sex.......sad ain't it.

He was also capable of quite poetic moments, and I will post the excerpt if I can find it. From what I recall, it would be fitting to see it here.

Godspeed, soldier ....

Here Is Tye's Obituary...........

http://www.legacy.com/roanoke/Obituaries.a...rsonId=89553941

G. Wayne Lawhorne

G. Wayne Lawhorne, (Tye River), 59, of Vinton and formerly of Amherst Co., went home to be with his family and the Lord on Saturday, June 23, 2007. He was a well known gunsmith for the last 27 years in the Virginia area and was a longtime member of the Roanoke Rifle and Revolver Club. Wayne was well known for his jokes and stories. He was predeceased by his parents, Douglas and Sallie Lawhorne; brother, Richard E. Mays; and sister-in-law, Linda Fitzpatrick. He is survived by his loving wife of 38 years, Margaret Burks Lawhorne; daughter and son-in-law, Alene and Jeremiah Stallman; one brother, Daniel B. Mays and his wife, Maxine; three sisters-in-law, Carolyn Mays, Ellen Hannah and her husband, Randall, Lynn Moore and her husband, Randy; two brothers-in-law, Roger Burks and his wife, Elsie, Jim Fitzpatrick; and numerous nieces and nephews. A memorial service will be held at 7 p.m. Tuesday, June 26, 2007 at Oakey's Vinton Chapel with Mr. Jeremiah Stallman officiating. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to your favorite charity, or take someone out to lunch in celebration of Wayne's life. Arrangements by Oakey's Vinton Chapel and Crematory, 982-2221.

Published in the Roanoke Times from 6/24/2007 - 6/25/2007.

Hold on ...this may not be OUR TYRVR.

Tom is right. I also recall TYRVR posting that his wife had passed on.

Yet THIS obit reads: "He is survived by his loving wife of 38 years, Margaret Burks Lawhorne"

I also recall TYRVR posting that he was in the army at the time of the Cuban Missile crisis or it could have the Kennedy assassination, in any case the early 60's. This gentleman was born in 1948 and would not have been 17 ( the youngest legal age to enlist) till 1965.

Hope I am right.

Karl

Unfortunately TRAP55 who posted the news on the gunbroker forum is an administrator on the M/C forum where Tye was a moderator.

As far as the obituary goes it's most likely the product not proof reading. Tye stated his wife died in 1998. In another post stated he joined the Army in 1962. So he is older than 59, but sadly it is indeed our Tye who has passed.

Tye had a special sense of humor.He was a very unique person.I enjoyed many a verbal repartee with him on chat at Curio and Relic forum.I shall miss him.

The true measure of immortality is not how long you live but how long you live on in the memory of those you touched along the way.

The lion at Delhi sleeps but lives on.

Stan

Wow! I know that I am REALLY late reading this, but it's still something of a shock.

Ultimately, TY and I didn't get along very well at all, whether we were here at MFRC or over at another haunt, it seems as though he and I were just made to attempt one upmanship on each other. The last exchanges I had with him at another board were very negative indeed, and apparently he had enough -- TY left that board with very little grace. To the point in fact that other members at the board suggested that I had run TY off. I was left with the most horrible feelings for the longest time, so I emailed him in an attempt to resolve the matter to our mutual satisfaction. TY never responded to my email.

However, after a little while, it seemed that he and I managed to get on well enough here...even in the Fighting Words board, and we ALL know how that can get!

At this moment I feel a bit heartsick knowing that there were bad moments between TY and myself and that now I can never make things completely right with him. Perhaps, in the grand scheme of things it's not very important, but still....

I had missed TY's presence here at MFRC in the past, and I miss it now that I am trying to visit more often. I still offer my good thoughts to TY's family, my condolences and my prayers for his rest.