Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Scopeing A Mauser

brian923

can the mauser rifle be drilled and tapped for a scope without the use of a JIG?

i was going to purchase a jig, but in seeing some other sites on the net, some guys dont use themn to scope mosins.

another reason i was wondering about this is because i am also contomplating the use of a side mount system. the jig would not help me here.

thanks guys, brian.

Yes, but you need to be able to precisely locate the holes over the bore centerline. On a side mount, you need to position the base plate in such a way that it will center the scope over the bore. Unless of course it is one designed to be used at an angle. A mill or very precise drill press is the best way I know of other than a jig.

• 4 weeks later...

I have cheated on guns that my jig would not fit and used Quik Steel and a laser bore sighter to stick the scope and mounts then removed the scope and drilled and tapped, Quik Steel sets up really fast, in minutes, so it is helpfull to have another set of eyeballs when positioning the scope and mounts, plus it gives you someone to yell at if it comes out crooked, I have done 2 M N's, a 2a Enfield, a Pachamyr pivot mount on a Garand, and a homemade mount on an L1a1 this way and they all sighted in just fine. Just remember it is easier to pop off the Quik Steeled on mounts and redo, than to weld up and drill new holes.

• 2 weeks later...

I just scoped my Czech 98/22 without having to modify the gun at all. I got the mount kit from S & K, removed the rear windage sight and placed the S & K mount in its place. Although labeled "scout mount" the scope does not look out of place a mere few inches forward of where an Enemy at the gates scope would be. Did not have to bend the bolt or cut the stock.

• 1 month later...
I just scoped my Czech 98/22 without having to modify the gun at all. I got the mount kit from S & K, removed the rear windage sight and placed the S & K mount in its place. Although labeled "scout mount" the scope does not look out of place a mere few inches forward of where an Enemy at the gates scope would be. Did not have to bend the bolt or cut the stock.

are you able to use a regular scope, or do you have to0 have a handgun, scout scope installed? i just got one of those scope mounts, but i dont have a scope yet. it would be nice if i could use a regular scope, instead of a scout scope?! thanks, brian

• 1 month later...

LINK??