Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Barrel Thread Question

Sailormilan2

I have a 1909 Peruvian Mauser(large ring, small ring threads) that I want to change the barrel on. I know Remington 700 barrel threads will clean up just fine when rethreaded to Mauser small ring thread size. How about Winchester and Ruger threads? Will they clean up too?

Here's a list of dimensional action threads from Cast Boolits site. I cannot guarantee just how accurate it is. I do know that Remington's 1.060 is correct and have used them to rebarrel Turk Mausers.

Action threads length Receiver OD? other

Mauser lrg. Ring 1.1x12 1.41”

Mauser sm. Ring .98x12

CZ 550 1.1x12.7

BBK-02 1.1x12

Rem 700 1 1/16”x16 .885

1.0625x16

Win 70 1x16

Ruger 77 1x16 1.41”

Sako

Weatherby mk V 1.06x16 .7

1 1/16x16

Browning A-bolt

Ruger no. 1 1x16”

Rem Rolling block

No. 1 smokeless 1.055x12 square 1.43”

Win 1885 High wall

Sharps 1874

Savage 110 < 2001 1.05x20

Short magnum>2001 1.125x20 G series, noticeable step after threads

CRF 1 1/16x20

1.0625x20

Bolt Shotgun 1.1x20?

MRC 1999 1x16 UNF 2B .75

Enfield M-17 x10 square

Enfield SMLE

Mosin Nagant .97”x16 or 1x16”

Steyr M-95 1.020x14 tpi V .693” shank

Win 94 .809x20

Win 94 BB .875x28?

Rossi 92

Marlin 336 .775x12 square .85”

Marlin 1895 45-70 same as 336, 450 may have been changed to a v thread.

Spiris

This question came up several years ago and one member said that he'd done it several times.

First off you'd want to turn 1.0 down to .98 so you'd loose the top of the 'V' on the major diameter of the 1X16.

I wish that I knew what that minor diameter would be. Rest assured that it doesn't run close to the .88 for the .98X12 of the Mauser.

So when you are done your OD on your barrel is kind of choppy where the 16 TPI and 12 TPI cross but the minor diameter

should be a nice clean 12 TPI. The load bearing surface is somewhere between the major and minor diameters anyway because the

major diameters of the male and minor diameter of the female threads are the thinnest parts of the thread.

I'll try to put it another way. If the 'choppy' part of the male barrel thread doesn't exceed more than 1/4 of the thread height

it probably makes little difference.

You do the math and decide for yourself.

It's something that I've considered doing but haven't done yet. I wish that I could remember who the member was that had done several.

Truth be told I'd play it safe and set the shoulder back as much as possible to cut into virgin barrel. If half or more ofthe length of the thread shank length could be into virgin barrel that would be better. You have to weigh that against how deep you can extend

the chamber safely.

Tinker

I have a 1909 Peruvian Mauser(large ring, small ring threads) that I want to change the barrel on. I know Remington 700 barrel threads will clean up just fine when rethreaded to Mauser small ring thread size. How about Winchester and Ruger threads? Will they clean up too?

The Remington 700 is 1 1/16"(1.062) X 16 and will clean up just fine for small ring mausers.

Neither Winchester or Ruger will work for small ring mauser.

Here's a 338-06 on a K-Kale action. The barrel is an ER Shaw remington contour and remington shank that I rethreaded for small ring mauser.

I'm getting ready to do another in 22-250 0n a 1936 mexican action

http://www.sporterizing.com/index.php?showtopic=6480

You may recall there was a big controversy several years ago over whether these modifications were suitable for magnum cartridges.

The shanks on most of the ruger barrels are long enough and have a large enough O.D. to thread to large or small ring and still have enough shank left to look good and fit in barrel vise.

James

The shanks on most of the ruger barrels are long enough and have a large enough O.D. to thread to large or small ring and still have enough shank left to look good and fit in barrel vise.

James

Only if you cut the existing threads completely off!

was it clark? for some reason his name sticks out...

Clark's name sticks out because he is the boards resident master of destructive testing.

I don't think that he is the one.

Well I was curious so I had to do the math to see how it would work out.

Using a 1" 16tpi bolt reference, my son ( the engineer ) looked up and found that the minor diameter

spec was .924.

As the 12tpi threads went around and crisscrossed the 16tpi threads the OD of the barrel would vary from

.98 down to .924 when the 12tpi crest met the 16tpi valley. At those points rather than a .05 tall/thick

thread, the thread would only be .022 tall. I imagine that this would follow a spiral pattern.

I think that you'd have to see one done to evaluate for yourself.

I hope my math is correct :unsure:

Tinker

• 10 months later...

The Remington 700 is 1 1/16"(1.062) X 16 and will clean up just fine for small ring mausers.

Neither Winchester or Ruger will work for small ring mauser.

Here's a 338-06 on a K-Kale action. The barrel is an ER Shaw remington contour and remington shank that I rethreaded for small ring mauser.

I'm getting ready to do another in 22-250 0n a 1936 mexican action

http://www.sporterizing.com/index.php?showtopic=6480

You may recall there was a big controversy several years ago over whether these modifications were suitable for magnum cartridges.

So can anyone weigh in on the controversy of whether a k.kale with small ring shank barrel is suitable for magnum cartridges?

That makes sense to me.So would you say that they are safe for most non magnum rounds?

There are millions of them in 8mm mauser so I would definately say yes to non-magnum.

there are at least 2 members here that have built magnums on small ring turks and swear by them.