Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1917 Eddystone

ken98k

Picked up a U.S. Model of 1917, Eddystone, today at a gunshow. All seems to be correct and original except the military stock has been sporterized. The bore is very bright and shiney.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet as I already have numerous projects in the works.

300 H&H Sporter - but will take some sweat equity to be reasonable.

404 Jeff. just for a bit of historical fun. at least that's what i'm gonna do.

And if the original barrel is in great shape, you can ream it out. Open the bolt face and magazine and you are done. Easy to get to feed with that taper of the case.

Don

Why not Weatherby or Winchester or the new Remington 300 ultra?

Just curious why you would suggest the obsolete 300 H&H?

ammunition available everywhere. classic, like the 1917, will kill anything you're likely to run across.

Back before WWII the 1917 was one of the few affordable actions that could fit the long H&H cartridges. Many were converted to 300 and 375's. And in Alaska, for your use I figure .308 caliber would get used more often than the larger calibers. You can load it as mild as 30-06 or step it up to 300 WinMag. To put a modern cartridge in one seems like putting fuel injection in a '32 Model A. Just doesn't match; too disrespectful to the chassis.

I've often thought about a 300 H&H on a Rem Model 30 (commercial action of 1917 origin) I have that is in 30-06 AI. But you can't ream a 30-06AI to 300 H&H.

Weatherbys and ultras are barrel burners, h&h is lower pressure. 300 winnie is almost a drop in so a good choice, but you will not find a slicker feeding 308 as the h&h. It is a classic like the 1917 deserves. Want a modern round use a modern action. Just one man's opinion.

Don

Weatherbys and ultras are barrel burners, h&h is lower pressure. 300 winnie is almost a drop in so a good choice, but you will not find a slicker feeding 308 as the h&h. It is a classic like the 1917 deserves. Want a modern round use a modern action. Just one man's opinion.

Don

I have a 300wby on a 98 action, and all the parts to build a couple 300wins, so mabey a H&H is in my futur.

I've had this 416 Rigby idea since reading about Harry Selby's mauser based 416 in an American Rifleman artcle last year.

I have a 300wby on a 98 action, and all the parts to build a couple 300wins, so mabey a H&H is in my futur.

I've had this 416 Rigby idea since reading about Harry Selby's mauser based 416 in an American Rifleman artcle last year.

did you see the article on "Karamoja" Bell's .275 Rigby from this month? what a classic!

Some 50 years ago, I was 15 and I had most of my summer money from working on the farm. I was a gun nut even then, but I was not yet into reloading, and had a Stevens in 22 Hornet and I was ready to move up to a a more powerful rifle.

The local gun dealer that my buddy and I frequented, had a Remington 1917 in 300 H&H mag and I walked out with it and a box of ammo after trading my Hornet and a bunch of cash for it.

The short story is that I shot that box of 300 H&H ammo and decided that I didn't really care for the cost of that ammo, so I went back to the dealer and swapped it for another 1917 Remington in 30'06. And I could buy a bucket of surplus ammo without breaking the bank. We put a dent in the woodchuck population that year.

I kept that '06 and learned to reload the next year, because my buddy on the same back road, had a 270 Win in a 1917 Winchester and we bought some Herter's equipment and learned to reload together. Those were good times.

Spiris

• 1 month later...

If the barrel is in good shape it would be a shame to waste it. Rechambering to magnum would be fun. I have a 1917 with nasty barrel, so I probably will go to a larger diameter magnum.

I believe the barrel on mine has been arsenal replaced.

Where in Alaska are you?