Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I Finished Another One

Rojelio

It's about time (I've been preoccupied).I finished putting this one together today. I just have to mount a scope and test fire for accuracy. This one is a college graduatiion present for a friend. He wanted a 270 win.

Components used are an Israli k98 action (started life as a dot czech rifle), a #2 Douglas stainless barrel. Butler Creek stock, Timney featherweight deluxe trigger,Talley bolt handle, and a P.A.W S. bottom metal (I know :( ).

Gun Koted the action, and painted the stock krylon moss and black webbing.

Here's a couple of pics. Roger

MVC-003F.jpg

MVC-005F.jpg

Another great job Roger. That stock is nice, really makes the old Butler Creek shine doesn't it? Your gun kote matches up nicely with the SS barrel. Job well done, everything flows nicely, and the bolt looks great.

What is a P.A.W.S bottom metal if you don't mind me asking? I'm sure I'm missing the obvious here.

That is a very nice graduation gift. I'm sure he will be impressed with your skill.

Brenden

Roger,

Your work is something to aspire to.

Great looking rifle and I'm sure the grad will love it.

Keep up the great work.

Darin

Brenden, the P.A.W.S. bottom metal is the one sold by Brownell's that is cast aluminum and has the antelope head on the floorplate. Other places may sell them, too. I'm not sure. They're about the cheapest thing on the market, but, they work fine. Just kinda cheesy. That's the second one that I've used and no issues with either one other than having to countersink the rear action screwhead hole a little deeper.

Roger

very nice rifle.

how thick is the floorplate? is there enough meat to smooth out the floorplate & remove the antelope head

Jim, the floorplate is kinda thin, but, the decorations are raised so it probably could be filed off.

Brenden, here's a pic of the floorplate.

Image009012.jpg

Another nice "Texas Rifle" :)

What's the story with the octogon barrel in the last photo?

Ken, I cut that barrel from a blank. It's half octagon half round. I threaded and chambered it for a martini I'm building in 33 winchester. Just another wild azzed idea I'm always getting. Maybe one day they'll come up with a cure for that. :blink:

Ken, I cut that barrel from a blank. It's half octagon half round. I threaded and chambered it for a martini I'm building in 33 winchester. Just another wild azzed idea I'm always getting. Maybe one day they'll come up with a cure for that. :blink:

Wow! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Very Nice Roger!

Hope to see it in person in a couple of months!

Thanks, Mike. I hope to get to see you again when you're down.

This gun will probably be gone by then, but, there's no shortage of other projects we can talk about. :)

Take care, Roger