Military Firearm Restoration Corner

What To Do With A Ruined .308 Barrel?

rustvyper

Ok, the barrel itself isn't ruined, it's a brand-new A&B barrel that I over bored while finish reaming it. I mean waaaay over bored it! Never watch a football game that you care about while doing smith work of any kind!

Is there a way to salvage the barrel to another caliber?

I mean waaaay over bored it!

How much exactly is waaaay over bored? What action type is this barrel for? Do you need a 30-06? If shortening the breech end to re-ream to .308 will remove enough material to make it unsafe diameter wise, your only option is to re-ream to a longer and/or slightly larger diameter case.

Check here for suitable case dimensions.

http://www.4-dproducts.com/

How deep did you go? You can always move the shoulder forward and then take some off the breech end, which will effectively move the barrel back and shorten the headspace.

To redo to a 30-06, you need to cut 1/2" off the breech end, and then rechamber to 30-06.

OK guys My Bad. I wasn't clear. I did not mean to imply that you could rechamber a .308 win to 30-06 just by re-reaming. Differences in shoulder diameter make this impossible. I was just being glib and failed miserably. :( That is why I included the link to 4-D and suggested checking chamber dim. drawings.

well - the rim goes all the way to the breech face now - I wasn't kidding - it was a really good game. I think I'll sit this one in my project locker until I get my lathe back. Thanks for the imput guys. 300win actually sounds like a good choice.

well - the rim goes all the way to the breech face now - I wasn't kidding - it was a really good game. I think I'll sit this one in my project locker until I get my lathe back. Thanks for the imput guys. 300win actually sounds like a good choice.

If the rim is about flush with the breech then you need about a thread and a half worth of setting teh barrel back. Not undoable.

If not, you might look into a .30-06 AI. Might be close.