Military Firearm Restoration Corner

98-izing A Pre 98 Bolt Shroud

odies dad

There has been a quite a bit of discussion about the safety of some of the small ring Mausers when converted to higher pressure cartridges.

I have a 1916 Spanish Mauser that was converted to 308CETME. This cartridge, while being the same physical size as a 308 NATO or 308 Winchester, was loaded to much lower levels.

The Mauser design is strong and can handle a quite a bit, but, the pre 98 actions were not designed to vent escaping gasses very well in the event of a primer rupture. This issue was addressed on the 98 models by introducing larger gas escape vents in the bolt and the addition of a flange on the bolt shroud to deflect the gasses away from the shooter’s face. I read that Sarco commissioned White labs to pressure test the 1916 Spanish Mauser for safety with 308 Win ammo and found the receiver to be plenty strong. This still does not address the gas handling issues.

I recently read a post from a gentleman who welded a flange onto a pre98 shroud to do just this.

I decided to replicate this and show pictures as to how it is done.

The cost was minimal. Materials included a washer, a pre 98 shroud, a drill press (because I don’t have a mill yet) with a ¼” mill bit, a round file, a tig welder, a dremmel with a small grinding stone, a hacksaw and a buffer.

I started with a washer approximately 1 ¼” or so in diameter and drilled the center to ¾”. I then scribed a line around the outside of the bolt shroud with the washer in position. Next I milled out the rough shape of the hole needed and finished it with a file.

232270167.jpg

This is the result.

232270327.jpg

232270301.jpg

This is how it fits on the shroud. The washer is back about 1/16” from the front of the shroud due to a notch in the bolt handle. Do lots of test fitting before you weld. Don’t worry about small gaps as the welding will fill these in.

232270281.jpg

Tig weld around the top part of the shroud. The bottom will be cut off.

232270256.jpg

232270237.jpg

After grinding down the weld and cutting off the bottom of the washer.

232270216.jpg

232270194.jpg

After polishing and buffing.

232270178.jpg

Installed on the bolt.

232270339.jpg

Installed on the rifle.

I may file some off the outside to reduce the diameter a bit, but it doesn’t look too bad as is. The bolt cycles fine.

This is a cool post. If I drilled a hole in the side of the action and 2 in the bolt so they face down when closed, add the sheild would it approximate the gas handling of a 98? I realize all opinions are worth what I've paid for them, so let me know what you think

Thanks,

Roy

there is still a difference in the shrouds. 98's have a step in front of the safety ring that adds yet another obstical for hot gases... but i do like the idea.

I like the idea too. Since '93's don't have the enlarged cocking cam area at the rear of the bolt to divert gas, this adds a layer of protection. One gas path that is often over-looked in '93's is the bottom of the bolt raceway. The M93 employs a square bottomed boltface that slides in a corresponding channel. When the bolt is locked, the square part of the bolt rotates to the left lug raceway, opening the square corners of this channel all the way back to the shooters face. If some small triangular nibs could be left on the bottom of the gas ring it would help block this path as well. These nibs, however, might interfere with proper function when closing the bolt if not lined-up properly.

There are probably a number of things you could do to redirect escaping gas from a split case, but the simplest thing is to use ammo that is of relatively recent manufacture. Shooting 90 year old Turkish 8mm is inviting catastrophe. The Romanian and Yugoslavian stuff is much better but neither are as good as hand-loaded. Excessive headspace could lead to a separated head but would probably show up first as stretched cases.

What is much more likely is a small amount of blow-back from a punctured primer. I had that happen to me, resulting in a small cut on my forehead from a piece of the metal primer. That incident led me to installing a similar flange on my bolt and - of course- I've never had a punctured primer since.