Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My Custom Sportized 1873 Td -- Pics

cougar69

I know it`s not a modern military rifle, but it was military back in its day. I did all the work my self with mostly simple hand tools. I hand cut the barrel to 24" & recrowned it. It has a Rem 700 front sight on it & a Marble Arms 1899 Savage style tang peep sight. The stock has 5 coats of Tung Oil on it & is checkered which is a little rough as it was my first time, but I like it. I also added a cheek piece & recoil pad, as this is a real thumper when fired. I just recently added the double set triggers & it`s really shoots like a modern rifle now. I reload for it using Rem 405g, 458 dia. JFNSP bullets over 34g of RELODER 7. If my 73 year old eyes do there part, I can put round after round in a 12" bull out at 200yds.

post-6471-0-37905100-1357023848_thumb.jpg

post-6471-0-53827400-1357023887_thumb.jpg

post-6471-0-13123200-1357023919_thumb.jpg

You did a wonderful job on a wonderful old rifle and I'm sure you can feel the historic significance every time that you shoulder it. Perhaps you'll try some cast bullets down the road and see how they shoot. Looks like a lot of enjoyment is headed your way.

Spiris

You did a wonderful job on a wonderful old rifle and I'm sure you can feel the historic significance every time that you shoulder it. Perhaps you'll try some cast bullets down the road and see how they shoot. Looks like a lot of enjoyment is headed your way.

Spiris

I tried cast bullets, 405g 459 dia with differant powder charges & they shot all over the place. This rifle seems to only like jacketed bullets, so that`s what I shoot in it.

• 2 weeks later...

FC, I did it by hand & I did do it a lot before hand. But all I had to do it on was soft white pine & it was flat not rounded. It started out nice & straight but as you can see, didn`t stay that way Oh well is all I can say. I still like it. Also, I`m more a metal worker than a wood worker.