Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Powda For The Mauza?

ahoyza

Hi,

With your guyzez help I have figured out that the '95 Chilean likes round nose bullets, hating spitzers.

Go figure, it is what it was designed for.

With that bit of knowledge under my belt, a friend asked, "well I wonder what type of powder they designed it for?" So I said, "I may know just who to ask!" So what kind of powder did they use in the late 1890's? Which one today is the most similar?

I do know that it likes 4895, and 4350 is too slow. Anyone chime in?

Thanks, Ahoyza

The only reference I see to the type of powder is "smokeless". I wouldn't worry about it.

The best powder for the 7X57 depends on what you want out of it and the bullet weight.

For the heavies, IMR 4831 seems a solid choice. My Hodgen #27 lists it as the fastest with a compressed chage for the 160 grain bullet.

Velocities for a given pressure with the 160 grain bullet and IMR powders are in the following DESCENDING order:

The only surprise here is the 4320, which has a burn rate slower than the 4064. Go figure.

Get a couple manuals and compare. If 3 manuals list a certain powder in the top 2 or 3 for a given weight, you're home free.

If you're not aware, www.hodgdon.com has plenty of data to peruse for the 7x57, just remember not to push the small ring Mausers beyond their design limits. Turn of the century metallurgy can be an issue, and think how close your face is to the action. I like using Hodgdon extreme powders like H4895 & H4350, because of their lack of sensitivity to ambient air temperature from summer to winter.

Keep your loads to under 45,000 CPU rating and you'll be fine.

Spiris

Years ago when I loaded 7X57 best I recall having the best luck with IMR 3031 and Winchester 748. My guess is if it prefers round nose there might be excessive free bore before the slug engages rifling. Could be a result of wear, design or both. Try lengthening the over all length of your loaded cartridge if mag length doesn't prevent it and see if it doesn't improve the results with spritzer slugs. Back in the early to mid 70's when I shot a bunch of surplus ammo. Best I recall the Spanish 7X57 were all round nose. The pointed bullet came into being after the 7X57 with the German's introduction of the 7.92X57.

• 1 month later...