Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Ideas

ghost95

Hello all, I'm finally getting back to the projects I started a while back. I have 4 actions, all of them VV24's.

The first one will be a bull barrel .308.

The second one will probably be either a .260 Rem or a 6.5 x 55 for my dad.

Im not sure which one of those to go with although I'm leaning toward the .260 because I can form brass from .308

The last two are unknowns. I'm not looking to go to a magnum calibut in these old actions even though I know some people do.

I have thought about a 7mm-08 because I reload for that already too.

Do you that have built rifles have a calibur that you are really happy with? Anything you would recomend?

I'm in the fl. panhandle so no big, big game here. More paper than anything else but hunting is an option.

Thanks for any input or ideas. C-

Paper? You need a mild, range-friendly or varmit caliber.

22.250 is way overkill, as is the 220 Swift.

How about:

.225 Winchester

.250 Savage

6MM Benchrest Remington

.22 Benchrest Remington

Doesn't have to be a repeater either. You could fashion a loading/magazine tray to feed from.

Your actions are long enough for several cartridges that will be much easier to feed than the .308 series.

7x57, 257 Roberts, 6mm Remington are all slam dunks.

35 Whelen, 338-06, 30-06, 280 Remington, 270 Winchester, 25-06 are straightforward in a VZ24.

Clemson

I thought about some of those but I thought I had to shape the receiver to get them to to fit with the bullets. I was trying to not have to do anymore shaping on the receiver. I guess I'll have to measure and see if I have to do anything else.

Thanks again. If those work out It will open up a whole new world of possibilities.

6.5x55, 257 roberts, 7x57, 6mm remington, are all good paper punches and are easy to shoot and require no modifications to your action.

And while most shops have been sold out of 308 for weeks now, I'll bet you can still find 6.5x55 and 7x57. :)

I know the 6.5 x 55 has a different size case head. I think it's a little bigger than the 8mm. Will the bolt faces need to be opened up or is the difference so small it doesn't really matter?

Thanks again for the input.

6.5x55 and the others I mentioned will work with NO modifications to the action.

You say you are not looking for a magnum caliber in these old actions; some of the rounds you mention operate at the same pressure as a magnum. A 260 is a high pressure waste of a round in my opinion. A 6.5x55 will duplicate it at lower pressures.

I really like a 6.5x55, 338-06, and I think a 270 or 280 would be a good caliber.

Brenden