Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1911 ?

cougar69

I`ve asked other places & still haven`t gotten a clear answer, so I`ll ask here & hope for the best. Subject pistol is a Colt 1911 45 ACP to carry concealed. With a round in chamber & hammer cocked & thumb safety on, just what does that safety do? In other words, what does it lock to prevent you from firing it? Does it lock the hammer or trigger? Also, with round in chamber why can`t it be carried with the hammer at half cock, isn`t this a safety also? Thanks in advance.

The thumb safety locks the hammer. Some people carry the hammer at half cock, but from what I have been told that is not what half cock is for. Half cock was designed to function as a hammer stop in case one's thumb slipped while cocking the hammer. You can carry the hammer down on a loaded chamber, as the firing pin is a spring rebound type. Not free floating. So the firing pin will not rest on the primer. I often carry my 1911s that way.

I once read, and I cannot ascertain the veracity of the article, that JM Browning designed the 1911 to be carried cocked and UNLOCKED. Which is why the grip safety is there. There is no real need for it otherwise.

I don't think so, Sailorman2. As an experiment, put a primered empty shell in the chamber. Put the hammer down. Hit the hammer with a block of wood. See what happens. My money is on BOOM. Locked and Cocked (safety on) is the ONLY safe way to carry a 1911, short of no round in the chamber.

The thumb safety locks the hammer. Some people carry the hammer at half cock, but from what I have been told that is not what half cock is for. Half cock was designed to function as a hammer stop in case one's thumb slipped while cocking the hammer. You can carry the hammer down on a loaded chamber, as the firing pin is a spring rebound type. Not free floating. So the firing pin will not rest on the primer. I often carry my 1911s that way.

I once read, and I cannot ascertain the veracity of the article, that JM Browning designed the 1911 to be carried cocked and UNLOCKED. Which is why the grip safety is there. There is no real need for it otherwise.

Look at the Colt 1903. Grip safety and side safety.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Model_1903_Pocket_Hammerless