Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Fixing Old Computers.

karlunity

Now that I am retired and ammo being what it is, I have gone back to a another past time that of fixing old computers...just to see how "fast" I can make them.

Well, I have this old little black computer, nice thing about it is that it has a heavy steel case.

You don't see a lot of those any more.

So I put a P 4 2.8 CPU in a MB from an old puter in the box, a new G card and dvd/b. and an SATA HD with extra fans, had to drill air ports in the side of the case.

Problem was that I needed a bigger PS and it would not fit.
So out came that old Dremal and I made a few cuts.

I am on that computer now and it is fast.
Running Fedora 18..: )
life is good.

Unless you are Bill Gates, you have to learn to fix your computer.
A friend paid 1200 bucks to get his computer fixed and was pleased that the tech would make a house call.

I was in the computer store and they charged a guy over a 100 to clean, debug and put extra ram in his computer.!!!!!!!!!!!!
karl

$1200 to get a computer fixed? I'm having a lot of difficulty wrapping my mind around that number. I'd find someone else to check that pc for a hidden vnc server or similar if I was that friend.

I have 2 IBM blade servers I need to get busy with when I get back home. I have some scsi hard drives I picked up off of newegg to put in them. The fun part is getting the bios to see them properly and having them jumpered correctly. Boxes of memory sticks, even a few matching sets of rambus and a Gateway server that uses it. Two 6 foot long shelves in the shop with AT and ATX cases, power supplies I need to open and replace bad capacitors in, LCD monitors I already rescued. Someday I'll get a Beowulf cluster together and running. I need to run network cable out to one detached garage and up the hill to the shop.

Fedora is definitely a preferred Linux distro, hats off for choosing that one pardon the pun. Sometimes in real life I will make a request out loud like "Sudo give me a winning lottery ticket". I guess I need to get the password for super user right though.

Pardon me for carrying on. Sort of making a list of things to do, to get me motivated to get this job done and get back home.

odies dad

If you can take a mosin bolt apart, you can take a computer apart.

All the steps are on you tube.

Get an older one for a few bucks to practice on.

Gotta warn ya...it is addictive. : )

karl

Sir.

"Get an older one for a few bucks to practice on."

You look and take notes Before you take the old computer that you got to learn on apart.

I would not take my good computer apart till I knew what to do....the Hippy would get mad at me. : )

karl

When I push the buttons on mine, sometimes it tells me stuff I want to know.

What language are you guys speaking?

My computer has a mouse and a keyboard.