Military Firearm Restoration Corner

M48 Yugo To .280 Ai?

Spaz

Ive done some searching to figure out if this is possible. The action length will make for a tight fit it seems. Pressure wise, can the action handle it? Reason I ask, it'd be cheaper than using one of my Sorter M1903's or A3's. About $200 less. Thanks for any advice!

Pressure wise? No problem. As you have likely already discovered, the intermediate lenght Yugo is tight for 30-06 lenght cartridges.

Only you can decide if you want to spend the time or the money to squeeze it in there.

just say'n

If you want something in 7mm, why not a 7-08. It will cycle through your Yugo without issue. You can load anything up to 160 grain bullets at only a few hundred feet per second less than 280 rem. A 140 grain should be deadly. Good luck and keep up posted. Ralph

284 Win or 25-06 Rem(same length as an 8mm round). 284 Win would be a better hunting round. Heavier bullets availible. Though the stubbier case may involve some feed rail tweeking to get it to feed right.

If you want something in 7mm, why not a 7-08. It will cycle through your Yugo without issue. You can load anything up to 160 grain bullets at only a few hundred feet per second less than 280 rem. A 140 grain should be deadly. Good luck and keep up posted. Ralph

Thanks for the info Ralph. 7mm-08 is already in the works.

284 Win or 25-06 Rem(same length as an 8mm round). 284 Win would be a better hunting round. Heavier bullets availible. Though the stubbier case may involve some feed rail tweeking to get it to feed right.

Considered the 25 already, .284 Ill read up on!

284 Win or 25-06 Rem(same length as an 8mm round;

I never realized the 25-06 was the same length as the 8mm.

Now I know what to do with several boxes of 25-06 someone gave me. :)

A 8mm is 2.24" in length. The 25-06 is a 30-06 necked down to 25 cal. They are the same length as the 35 Whelen, 2.494". The 280 Rem and 270 Win has a case that is a "smidg" more, 2.54". The shoulder of the 280 is moved forward to keep them from being chambered in a 270 by mistake. There is a lot of good choices for a Yugo action. I think any of the 308 family or 8mm Mauser family would be perfect. Ralph

Im gonna talk to a local smith tomorrow. See if he can do it. Like I said, its cheaper using a Mauser than it is one of my Springfield Sporters. But if I have to the Springfield will do it. I just love the idea of using that Mauser

A 8mm is 2.24" in length. The 25-06 is a 30-06 necked down to 25 cal. They are the same length as the 35 Whelen, 2.494". The 280 Rem and 270 Win has a case that is a "smidg" more, 2.54". The shoulder of the 280 is moved forward to keep them from being chambered in a 270 by mistake. There is a lot of good choices for a Yugo action. I think any of the 308 family or 8mm Mauser family would be perfect. Ralph

8x57 = 3.228 COAL

25-06 = 3.250 COAL

.280 Rem = 3.333 COAL

25-06 looks to be a pretty good fit. Now, most folks load the 25-06 with long 120 grainers, but factory should need little if any modification. 0.022 inches is halfway between a 1/64th and a 1/32nd.