Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Heat Treated Extractor Collar.

ghost95

Hello all, Do you guys think that a Mauser extractor collar that went through heat treat with the bolt will be ok to use? I sent the bolts off without removing the collars and they were processed on the bolts. It dosen't seem like it's a part that would cause too much problems because it's not subject to too much stress or wear. Is there something that I might be missing? Thanks for any replys. C-

I dunno. I think it would have been better to not heat treat them, but, what's the worst that can happen? It breaks when you try to extract an empty? I don't see how that could get you hurt, but I'm an amateur in these things.

I don't see an issue if it doesn't break when you remove it. Unfortunatly you are going to have to remove it to polish it and the bolt under it if you ever want to smooth out the action. I don't know the exact process they use but when the bolt was reheated to temper it the collar very well could have softened up more than the bolt since it's size.

Don

Best advice if you own more than one Mauser to keep a few on hand. Over the years I've unintentionally broke a few collars. In my experience if it is Spanish made there is about a 50/50 chance it will break when it is removed or installed.