Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My Verbal Battle With Taurus

AzRednek

I got a smoking deal on a Taurus 24/7 40 auto with extra mag, Forbus holster, mag loading tool, factory carry case and a box and a half of ammo for $200. Don't need or really want it but it will make good horse trading goods. I like to prey on the younger guys with grandpa or dad's S&W revolvers. The old S&W's just don't have the cool factor with the younger generation.

I knew when I bought it the rear sight was loose. The sight's set screw was cross threaded and frozen and the Allen hex stripped and rounded out. I assumed with Taurus' lifetime warranty it would be fixed for free. After reading their webpage saying I have to send in the entire gun for warranty repair. I called asking if I could just send the slide or could they just send me the parts after clearly explaining the problem with the cross threaded screw.

I found out sights are not covered under warranty unless it is defective new in the box. Girl said she would have to sell me the entire sight assembly. With s&h cost me 20 and change. The plastic replacing a metal sight arrived today and no screw. I got on the phone, called Taurus and was on hold just shy of 10 minutes. The rep apologized for not including the screw as it is sold as a separate item.The tiny 1/4 inch long at the most Allen head set screw was over 3 bux in cost but the SHTF when I was told 9.95 s&h. I make jokes all the time about myself being a cheapskate but over 13 bux for a tiny Allen head set screw was to much and way out of line.

Demanding and getting a supervisor I blistered his ear paying over 13 bux for a tiny screw that should have been shipped with the sight. I told him to just get me the size and I will go buy it for a nickel or dime at the hardware store. Apparently he could not find the correct size suggesting I take the sight to the hardware store. I told him with it being metric and not knowing the thread pitch I'd likely wind up with another cross threaded screw and useless gun. After he made another attempt to get me the screw's size. He finally came back on the line "as a courtesy we will send it to you "no charge".

Guess it is a classic example of the squeaky wheel getting greased. I'm not a rich man but not poor. 13 bux though for a tiny screw made me really squeak!!

Dude, getting screwed over whether for $13 or $1,300 is still screwed over. I have a tendency to start asking to speak to the supervisor, then the manager, then what is the CEO's name?

I told a C/S gal recently that if she insists on jerking me off it would feel much better if she reached in my pants to do it. :D That got me immediate access to her supervisor.

In your case, I've heard good and bad concerning Taurus C/S mostly the latter. I'd just drill and tap the original steel unit for a SAE set screw.

JM2c

Good for you Az.

I am an easy going fella too. But enough is enough.

If that screw was extra, you should have been told that and asked if you wanted it.

Any way, if the sight was on the pistol when it came out of the box, it should have been covered.

Pacrat has a good idea. Now that you have a replacement, there is nothing to lose to trying to fix the steel original sight.

karl

My standard line is "if you can't help me after I explain the situation to you, send me to your supervise". The other is "you can be pissed off now and take care of me or get pissed off all over again after I file a complaint against you". These lines usually get results. Ralph

• 1 month later...

Hey, at least it ended well!

Not exactly, after receiving three incorrect sights I'm still waiting. Screw they sent was wrong, one to many turns the sight base block cracked from the screw bottoming out. I drifted out the block along with the sheared off screw, sent it to them and they returned the wrong parts. My last phone call was with a male with some gun knowledge. He understands what I need and hopefully he follows through and sends the right part this time.