Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Brazilian 94 ?'s

TLynn

724wd

(6/14/05 18:50)

Reply Brazilian 94 ?'s

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, i have been looking for a small ring to build a 6.5x55 sporter. I dont really want to cut up a full rifle, and saw my favorite vendor has Brazilian 94 actions listed. From what i can tell on another parts site, the parts between a Brazilian and a Swede interchange, is this correct? Would a Brazilian be German made? Is it a decent small ring to build on?

heath

rmjchas

(6/15/05 7:50)

Reply Re: Brazilian 94 ?'s

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Brazilian 1894's are german made, but parts interchange with the model 1893 with the square bolt bottom--NOT the Swedish 1894.

724wd

(6/15/05 10:23)

good to build a 6.5x55 or a 7x57 on? i found a pic of the flat bottom bolt. interesting. any other oddities about this action? thanks for the info

heath

rmjchas

(6/15/05 12:28)

I believe they were orginally chambered for 7x57. I screwed an 6.5x55 barrel on one for a while and it worked fine, although I could not seat bullets to the same overall length I could for a Swedish action. It became a pain to load for two different bullet depths so I converted it to 7.62x39

724wd

(6/15/05 20:02)

Reply 94 questions

why were you not able to load the same length? different throat length, or is the brazilian action shorter? like i said, i dont know a whole lot about them, just what i can see on numrich and a few other info sites. it kinda looked like the brazilian action was shorter than standard. True?

rmjchas

(6/16/05 7:36)

Reply Re: 94 questions

Actually it was a combination of both... The magazine box for a Swedish model 96 is a little longer than the box for a model 93/95, and the Swedish barrels have a longer throat. They were originally set up for a very long 160 grain roundnose bullet. The Swedes went to a 140 grain spitzer; and a shorter overall cartridge length; sometime around WW2. I found that my Model 96 REALLY REALLY liked having the 140 grain spitzer seated out to the 160 grain cartridge length. If you have a 96 and reload, give this a try! The Remington bulk 6.5x55 140 grain PSP's have two cannelures just so you can do this! Like I said earlier, readjusting my dies to load for both overall lengths just became a pain in the butt. I have noticed that factory 6.5x55 cartriges will fit a 93/95 magazine box with no problem.