Military Firearm Restoration Corner

308 Winchester Barrel Length?

rdm1962

I have the chamber cut on the Yugo 24/47 for my Daughter. It is in 308 Win. The barrel is a A&B 20". I original plan was to cut and crown the barrel at 18". I have a Brownell's 11* crowning cutters. One In 1/2" and one in 3/4" plus the needed pilot. In thinking about it would 2 inches really make a difference in the handling or ballistics overall. The barrel may benefit from a 11* crown over what the manufacture finished it with. Anyone have any thoughts on barrel length for a 308? Would a 11* crown be better than factory?

Thanks Ralph

P.S. I got the crowning tools and 4 pilots for a steel. I really just kind of want to see what I can do with them.

Handling would depend on how the rifle is balanced. An inch of barrel is worth between 30 and 60 fps depending on the load. Or 60 to 120 FPS overall for 2 inches.

That same 2 inches increases muzzle blast significantly. Think "flame throwing thunderstick". I have an 18" barreled md 600 Rem. 308 carbine.

Target crown is fastest and easiest to cut on a lathe. Requires no special tool. Recesses the actual crown juncture slightly more than a radiused crown for more protection. As to accuracy, no diff as long as the crown is cut concentric with the bore.

JM2c

Will the rifle be "handier" if the barrel is less than 20"? 20" is a good balance between velocity and maneuverability. I have no issues with shorter barrels; for concealment and climbing in-and-out of vehicles, they can't be beat. With reduced velocity and increased muzzle blast, you have to have a good reason for trimming that barrel; I don't know that the justification is there.

Leave it at 20" and call it good.