Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Sandbag House

FC

I looked into those types of houses several years ago as a survival shelter.

One thing that I learned is that you can take those houses and re-enforce them with chicken wire and fero cement and you have one of the strongest structures made.

They can with stand high winds up to 300 mph and when they are covered with fero cement they are some what fire proof..

Years ago I saw one started. My former brother in law was building one for a woman that apparently had mega bucks. It was wired for normal electricity but had a back-up system that would operate off of solar panels and generators. My BIL slacked off building it to slow and got canned from the job. I did see it after completion and it looked like an ordinary but very large stucco house from the outside. I never saw what it looked like from inside. The woman had designated apx 1200 sq feet of the structure for her cats.

At one time i bought feed in plastic bags similar to the ones used in the sand bag house and over time they will rot from exposure to the sun.

Ferro cement is something I would like to play with some day. In the third world they make water tanks from it and in some places they make boats.

During WWII the US navy made ships/boats using ferro cement. i have seen plans for an 80ft PT boat