Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Will A 35 Remington Feed From A Mauser Mag Well?

8uck5nort

I am contemplating my next hunting rifle. My M95 in 445 SM is awsome, but I want something with a quicker follow up shot and a little more PBZ range. I was running into trouble when we were doing pushes on deer and trying to get a quick second shot off especially after the deer hit the open fields and put some distance on. If I got the drop on em it was entirely different story. the 445 will be my chosen stand hunting rifle bar none.

I have to stay in our states 1.8 case length and 358 caliber to stay deer legal. A case trimmer is all I need to get legal for the 2014 deer season with the 35 Remington and if I go out of state to hunt with this rifle I can use factory ammo as well.

I am considering the two platforms for my next project the M95 Steyr or a Mauser action of some flavor.

The M95 steyr will be more challenging, but in theory if I can solve the feed issue a faster cycling rifle. Doubtful I can get there easily.

The Mauser in my mind should be easier and offers more third party options granting the 35 remington cartridge will feed and extract/eject ok.I know the bolt travel in an intermediate action is shorter, but not sure if that will make a diffterence. Has anyone tried to do a 35 remington project? can someone tell me if the 35 will load and feed? The project will happen if that is the case and will be pretty straight forward if I can get that question answered. I also plan on loading up to +P levels. I believe both actions should be strong enough to handle the very max 50,000 cup that loading will produce which should put me on the heels of a 356/358 winchester and even into the mild 35 whelen range.

Thank you as always for your answers and guidance.

8uck5nort

I plan on doing one, some day. My plan was to build one off of that 95 action that I got off of you. I bought a box of 150 grain 35 Remington shells and proceded to screw a barrel stub on and test feeding. My theory was that with a blank extractor ( then cut to the 35's head ) feeding should be great. It really didn't feed too bad with stock extractor and follower. Really if it feeds two rounds that's all you need. Two in the mag and one in the tube, by the time you get number 4 chambered he will be long gone, especially on a drive. Your mileage may very.

Does the 445 not feed? I like that round. Out of the tube you are running, I'd say that weapon is a fast stepping number.

Brenden

The M95 Steyr was converted to a single shot. It has turned into a sweet handling rifle, and form a blind or stand, absolutely deadly. It extracts and ejects fired cases flawlessly. It is just that a quick follow up shot is it's Achilles Heel if it is indeed really a shortcoming. I have the 445 SM safely loaded up so that it nips on the heels of a 444 marlin and if I get a steady shot on a calm animal in the 200 yard or even at 225 yard with the BDC retical scope I've been able to seal the deal every time. I only ran into issues when my first shot missed on a drive and the deer broke cover and hit the open fields. By the time I got a second cartridge loaded the deer were out of my ethical range. Meanwhile the guys with the pump and semi-auto shotguns were piling up the carcasses. Typically getting 3 or even 4 shots to my one. Not a big deal, but I definitely had the wrong rifle for that application.

I understand that prior to getting rid of the bottom metal the clip fed system would feed 410 shotgun shells pretty reliably. A 445 SM with 265 grain point FTX bullets loaded is very cloase to a 410 shell in dimensionand should in theory feed from the clip.