Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1911 On The Way : )

karlunity

Got the ammo, and holster today.

Extra mag and pistol are on the way.

I had forgotten just how BIG .45 rounds are.

The price was not bad on the Ammo.

44 bucks for 100 rounds.

Now if you consider that I paid 28 for 50 rounds for the .380.

That is not bad and the brass is re-loadable.

A set of lee 45 acp dies and a case trimmer and I am good to go.

All I need now is the pistol.

karl

Got the ammo, and holster today.

Extra mag and pistol are on the way.

I had forgotten just how BIG .45 rounds are.

The price was not bad on the Ammo.

44 bucks for 100 rounds.

Now if you consider that I paid 28 for 50 rounds for the .380.

That is not bad and the brass is re-loadable.

A set of lee 45 acp dies and a case trimmer and I am good to go.

All I need now is the pistol.

karl

That is an excellent price on 45 ammo especially with reloadable brass. The 45 ACP self-defense ammo is a killer. I'm partial toward Winchester Silvertips. I'm to much of a cheapskate though to pay in excess of 55 bucks for a 50rd box. Winchester to the best of my knowledge only market the 40 cal Silvertip bullets for hand loaders. I shop gun shows for partial boxes of all pistol caliber Silvertips.

Modern SD 45 ACP sacrifice bullet weight to assure fast enough velocity to get reliable expansion. Don't how ever under estimate the 230gr FMJ. Just ask any combat veteran that used a 1911. The heavy slug is a real bad guy or enemy stopper. Several years ago my son and I did a comparison of 45 ACP ammo. Home Depot used to do daily sales on damaged or opened bags of dry wall mud. The bags of plaster literally, not an exaggeration. Exploded when hit with a Silvertip.

A word of caution on recently manufactured 45 ACP brass. There is a trend among some ammo mfg's to use small instead of large primers on 45 ACP. Could be problematic with a progressive loader. I just pull them out, set them aside, and use the Lee hand tool to prime them. After I accumulate a handful with small primers. I remove the de-capping pin from the sizing die and put them back into the progression. Every now and then a piece of brass sneaks through with small primer pocket. I squish the large primer, destroying it. So far, so good I haven't ignited one.

Calling Graff and sons for lee .45 acp die set and trimmer Monday.

Don't know why. The local range won't let you use hand loads and the outdoor one is a 4 hour round trip. : (

It would not be complete without the reloading ability.

karl

Want to thank you guys for the encouragement.

Az especially.

karl

Hello Quick Karl

As to 1911 work.

Cannot say that I do..... yet.

I do the minor work and repairs on other rifles and pistols, so I guess I will read up and learn the 1911 if it is needed.

Not looking for a target or competition class pistol, I am not that good a pistol shot nor do I wish to be.

If the pistol can hold the black at 25 meters of an NRA small bore target, I am happy.

Congrats Karl ! Hope your as happy with yours as I am with mine, the same model by the way. I'd strongly advise you to strip it down and give it a very good cleaning before you fire it. Honestly I usually don't but for some reason I did on mine and it was a good thing because it was full of what looked like fine saw dust and I mean full, not the bore but the frame under the grips and the slide around the recoil spring ???? Bout one of the dangdest things I've seen. No way it could have functioned properly.

If you haven't tried them already, the factory crimp die from lee is well worth the few extra bucks the four die set will run you when you talk to Graffs. And if your ever in this part of the country you should stop in and visit with them, good folks. Jim