Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Horsefly this is for you...

MorgansBoss

Man that makes me want to go to Africa! Isn't that a .308 you built for your wife?How about sending the rest of the pictures? Pretty neat to see good pictures like that and feel like you know the people in them.If I live long enough or don't stroke out,I'm going to SA.Thanks for the picture. Jerry

Well, I don't have all the photos on the cumputer anymore but I've uploaded a few to the host site to share. There is one of my friend Christo and I with a Blesbok I shot (the fox terrier is a tracking dog used to find wounded game. He was in training on this hunt). There is one of some francolin I shot one morning, a Giraffe we caught crossing the road one day and one of the big centipedes that came out by the millions after a thunderstorm. The last one is the Wildebeest bull I shot with my 7x64. Yes Jerry, the rifle my wife is holding is a M98 in .308Win.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Thanks again for the pictures.Sure looks like ya'll had a wonderful time.Did you get to eat the francolin?What's the scoop on the rifle sling?It's a dandy,looks sorta like an aligators tail.Jerry

Yes we did eat the francolin and they were delicious! While there is a chef at the lodge (actually a local young woman who produces more South African cuisine than can be eaten), Christo cooked the birds himself. They were stewed in a pressure cooker with a sweet, red wine sauce and served as appetizers with the evening's sun downers. It was a challenge to get "my share" in the rush by everyone to eat the savory meat. Sorry I don't re-call the genus but these were the more prevalent specie. Not much for wing shooting. They refused to fly if running was possible and when they did get up the flight was only as far as the next bush where they dodged behind it, lit and ran like crazy. The locals head-shoot them with .22's when they want a few for the pot. Now, the red-necked francolin (I swear - with apologies to Jeff Foxworthy - that's what they're called) are more pheasant-like in behaviour and have a much more savory white meat like our ruffed grouse. Check out the spurs on those devils. Made the mistake of picking the first one up by the leg as I usually do with birds, OUCH! ohmy.gif

The sling is from South Africa and is made from crocodile tail with buffalo leather backing. Along with being neat looking, its also VERY comfortable for long distance carry. Not much as a shooting aid though.