Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Polish P-83

AzRednek

Does anybody have any experience with the Polish P-83? I had two P-64's the previous Polish model the P-83 replaced. Both 64's had to have the hammer spring tension reduced. The P-64's were sprung heavy so they could fire the same hard primered 9MM Makarov ammo the Pol's used in their sub machineguns. The P-64's first D/A trigger pull way beyond ridicules in excess of 25lbs. 25lbs was the max on a friend's trigger pull gauge. I got a Wolf spring kit from J&G and the P-64 turned out to be quite a shooter and fine concealed carry gun. I have since traded away one of my P-64's and am considering a P-83 as the price is right from J&G.

My only dis-like of the P-64 being a reloader. It tosses brass a country mile directly to the right. At a public range it PO's adjacent shooters and makes recovering expended brass difficult. At the range I have to shoot slightly right or left to keep brass from falling on other shooter's tables.

Buying from J&G I have to add sales tax, spend about 15 or so bucks in gas driving Phoenix to Prescott but I beat the shipping and FFL fees. My biggest problem with J&G is walking in and buying only what I intended to get. I rarely walk in and out without bringing home additional toys or an armload of ammo.

http://www.jgsales.com/polish-p83-semi-auto-pistol,-9x18,-3.5-barrel,-g-vg-condition,-used.-p-67335.html

Makarov hull spitters can be tamed some by modifying the ejector. Another option is scrounging an old aluminum framed window screen and dadoing a slot in a 2x4 to fit it. Many ranges with open benches supply them for use.

But in answer to your question........I've never had a P-83

Never had one.

But as to the ejection...try:

A stronger recoil spring ..Wolff's has them.

My old range plastic screens that came with two large spring clamps that you hooked into the overhead.

You could make a frame from PVC tubing and screen as well.

karl

Never had one.

But as to the ejection...try:

A stronger recoil spring ..Wolff's has them.

My old range plastic screens that came with two large spring clamps that you hooked into the overhead.

You could make a frame from PVC tubing and screen as well.

karl

My public range does have some screens and work fine as long as I'm shooting from a sitting position. I've seen a few ol'timers with handmade brass catchers. I may try and piece something together one of these days. It is another one of those projects in the back of my mind.

My public range does have some screens and work fine as long as I'm shooting from a sitting position. I've seen a few ol'timers with handmade brass catchers. I may try and piece something together one of these days. It is another one of those projects in the back of my mind.

Makarov hull spitters can be tamed some by modifying the ejector. Another option is scrounging an old aluminum framed window screen and dadoing a slot in a 2x4 to fit it. Many ranges with open benches supply them for use.

But in answer to your question........I've never had a P-83

I'm afraid to mess with the ejector as I've seen on the net that there are plenty of Polish pistols in the USA but nobody has spare parts except for mags. If I could locate an spare ejector I'd give it a shot but if I were to cut a bit to much I'd be SOL if I needed another. I wanted another recoil spring but when J&G was selling the reduced spring kits all they had left when I was there were the hammer springs kits. I'll probably go for stiffer recoil spring next time I order something from Wolf. I'll probably wait for somebody to try various weight springs and post their results on the net. Being the cheapskate I am. I'll let somebody else spend his money trying the different type.