Military Firearm Restoration Corner

rifle rack

fritz

Actually, ShooterTom, you may have found the only time and place where it IS appropriate for a guy to say that to another guy!

I concur, fritz, that's a nice rack!

I have a question though, is there significance to the way you have configured the top level of the rack? I see that there is an extension up from the fourth level, and I am wondering if there is something that I am not getting about it.

Personally, I really like the way that you incorporated those coated hooks into the design...I always thought the hooks would be good for something like that!

Thanks for posting the photo!

Yeah, the fifth row was added as an afterthought. I ccould have used longer uprights and gotten the five rows easier.

I thought that 24 would be enough for this rack, but when I looked at my collection, I not only added the top row, but also built another just like it.

That got most of the rifles off the floor, what with the overhead rack suspended from the ceiling joists that holds about 20. For the overhead rack, I used the J shaped coated hooks. At 25 cents each, it was cheaper than notching out the wood.

fritz

fritz,I'm going to steal your idea and build a rack like that.We have some racks at work that hold stainless steel truck parts,a tube about 2'' dia,that have that kind of foam rubber that's kinda hard,but not,and looks like the cross pieces your stock sets in.I'm going in today,and if there is a couple pieces of that stuff loose enough that it may fall off and trip someone,well,I'm always safety minded and will pick it up and bring it home so no one gets hurt.If the stuff works,I'll get real safety minded and gather up all I can.I finally have a real shop and need to start trying to catch up with you peckerwoods that have all the real stuff to work with.Now to go to thems fighting words and look at that other rack!Jerry