Military Firearm Restoration Corner

barrel shank length

TLynn

sphingta

(6/17/05 21:28)

Reply barrel shank length

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think i already know the answer but here's a question. I'm putting a 280 rem. barrel on a VZ-24. The treaded shank of the barrel is .625" and the depth to the inner ring is .632". My question is is it worth while to have the reciever cut .008" or should it be okay the way it is?

carzngunz

(6/17/05 21:48)

Reply Re: barrel shank length

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the receiver has already been trued, I would adjust the length of the barrel shank. I would only remove the minimum it takes to true up the receiver and then adjust the barrel. This probably isn't the only way to do the job but it has always worked well for me.

tinkerfive

(6/17/05 21:48)

Well .625 is what it should be.

A couple of things come to mind.

Are you measuring the depth with the same instrument as

you are measuring the shank length?

Anything is possible, I'd just be surprised to find out that

a rare VZ24 is .008 over what it should be.

I think I'd screw the barrel on snug and then check to see if

the primary tourque shoulder is indeed off of the "C" ring by

I have a bore scope, so I realize this may be difficult but,

perhaps with tweezers and a feeler guage you can verify.

If indeed the VZ is long, I think I'd have the secondary

tourque shoulder on the barrel set back rather than trying

to machine off the hardened face of the receiver.

z1r

(6/18/05 0:17)

.625" is nominal. Many of the Vz24's I've done have been closer to .630" -.632" to the inner "c" ring. It doesn't matter what it should be but rather what matters is what you measure the distance to be. Add .0015" to .002" to that to allow for crush and you are set. So, even if your distance to "C" ring was .625" the shank should be at least .6265" to .627".

Do make sure that you have measured more than once like Tinker5 said. And adjust the barrel not the receiver!

Ok, be right back......

...Ten minutes later.

I just got back form the garage. I measured the following receivers I'm currently working on:

VZ24 .627"

VZ24 .630"

VZ24 .630"

VZ24 .630"

VZ24 .630"

VZ24 .631"

k98k .632"

K.Kale .618"

K.kale .617"

98/22 .630"

98/22 .630"

La Coruna M43 .626"

Steyr Solothurn .629"

The K.Kale's had the lip removed

sphingta

(6/18/05 9:46)

The reciever hasn't been trued that's why I was thinking about taking it off the front of the reciever. I'll have to see if i can still find plastigauge. Haven't used or senn it in a very long time unless someone got a better tool to use. Also yes i was using the same depth gauge

sphingta

(6/18/05 9:51)

Since i can't edit my post i was wondering If when you true up the reciever would i take off the .0085" or just true it and then remove from the barrel. I guess that would depend on the squareness off the reciever and how much needed to be removed for the process though.

z1r

(6/18/05 10:33)

I've never had to take more than .001" cut to "true' the front ring face. Truthfully, I never had one out of spec yet. The cut was just to give a nice surface. I wouldn't face .008" off my receiver.

Adjust the barrel.

sphingta

(6/18/05 11:02)

figures i couldn't due it an easy way. The one person i knew with a lathe can't help me any more and finding a reasonable priced smith in New jersey is like finding a needle in a haystack. The only one i know that does machining work is griffin and howe. Guess i'll have to start looking around

z1r

(6/18/05 11:19)

Ok, help me out here, if you don't have a lathe to adjust the barrel with how were you going to "True" the receiver ring. Please don't tell me with handtools.

If that's the case you are better off screwing on the barrel and finish reaming to depth.

carzngunz

(6/18/05 11:36)

Under those circumstances, I might just get an accurate measurement and take the barrel to a local machine shop that does small jobs. There will almost always be someone there that likes guns and will help you out. Setting the barrel back is a quick and simple job for a machinist.

sphingta

(6/18/05 11:51)

i figured i could get One of our contractors at work to due it. I have the receiver facing mandrel and if i folowed him to his shop i figured he could chuck it and cut it quickly and be done with it. Since i'm not super familiar with lathes i would guess the set up time on a barrel would be much longer. also since he is a worker and not the owner a barrel looks a lot more like a gun part and guns in new jersey are such a pain to deal with as the are the root of all evil. One of these days i'm just gonna break down and buy a lathe and start practicing. Went to night school at a local VO-Tech and the teacher was horrible. Never on time and was a salesman for a local company not a craftsman. Maybe i'll try again and see if i get a better teacher.

z1r

(6/18/05 17:30)

You could do that.

Or, you could just screw it on and finish ream it. That's probably what the majority of the folks buying short chambered barrels do. Most don't have lathes so they screw em on, set headspace, and bang away.

sphingta

(6/18/05 18:31)

I'm trying to make an attempt at doing it right so i'd rather get the barrel cut. I didn't say perfect but mechanically right. I've always been more into function than form. So as long as its done right mechanically i'll be happy, for now.