Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mess up alittle

spec4 e4

I was using an bench grinder to help with removal the charging hump on the four M48 Yugo receiver that I have, and I took much off from the top side on the right where the top and the side meet, sad.gif just alittle was taken off. mad.gif I figure I can round it off alittle since it was only two that I mess up. Has anyone done this? The other two looks great. I just have to flip them over and do one side at an time, unlike the AGI video. I was doing the other by file but it took to long and I have many more. Live and learn.

So, I got 6 receiver down and 8 to go to get ready to D&T. I figure I get them all ready but the barrel, like trigger, d&t, safety, bolt handle, and bolt lapping. I got the trigger guards already done with locking screws welded and the numbers removed.

spec.4

I have used a 4 1/2" side grinder with an 80 grit sanding disk to remove the bulk of the material and then finish up with a file. The trick is to keep the area you are grinding straight and not get the metal too hot. The sanding disk keeps the metal a little cooler than a regular grinding wheel. Do the flat areas first and you can remove most of the metal with the grinder. Do the top last and be careful of the radius. It is better to take the majority of metal off in this area with a file. I do some fab work and this comes pretty easy to me but you may want to practice on some scrap before you tackle a receiver with the grinder. As a side note you can constantly see your progress with the handheld grinder and thats not the case with a bench grinder. Good luck with your projects!