Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Monty's collection

montea6b

Hmmm... NO!

Sorry for the mug shot quality of the photos. With the exception of the tailgate shot, these are my insurance/inventory pictures and were quickest and easiest to post.

The Sharps is a hand me down from my father, who got it from his father when he passed away before I was born. No telling how long it had been in the family before that, but as my dad's side originally settled in South Dakota in the late 1800s, it could have been a while, and was very likely a bison provider for my ancestors.

Pa had it reblued in the early sixties when it was just a rusty old relic, so collectible value ain't great, (which is immaterial since I'll never sell it) but it sure looks nice. It's a 44-77 and I've been meaning for years to get some dies and load for it since WalMart doesn't exactly carry that caliber. The obsolete dies are a little spendy though, and I've been busy with other projects.

I've written a little about the Springfield before, but it's a circa 1935 National Match and was a gift from my father in law in sporterized wrapping. I've since restored it. I have another straight stock service grade 1903 which I'd like to clean up a bit.