Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Unloader

FC

These are neat gadgets. I've used the blow-gun on my air compressor to do it before to! Keep that muzzle in a safe direction when you blow her though, sometimes that ball can come out with enough force to hurt things.

Lewis and Clark had a .69 cal. "air gun" on their journey. During a send off party some fool messing with it accidentially shot AND KILLED a young woman! Compressed air (or CO2) is not to be taken lightly.

The few times I needed to get a load out that refused to shoot or had no powder,I pulled the nipple out,and trickled some pistol powder in,and then put it back together and squeezed her off.Hasn't failed yet.I've come back to camp after dark in New Mexico and would have given anything to have had a mechanical unloader,just to not spoil the quietness.I've had a stuck ball puller for just that purpose for a long time now.I haven't had a missfire or hangfire since I went to the shotgun primer adapter.I think those things would blow damp powder and ball out on it's own.Jerry

"I haven't had a missfire or hangfire since I went to the shotgun primer adapter.I think those things would blow damp powder and ball out on it's own."

I can tell you they will. Once had a shotshell go bad, the primer was enough to lodge the wad in the choke (the shot sprinkled in the water 5 to 10 feet away) then once the barrel was plugged the powder finally started to burn! Burning gas boiling out the loading port of my pump nearly did me in! Singed my eyebrows and lashes, hair sticking out under the bill of my hat and temporarily blinded me in my right eye. Just make sure the ball gets all the way out the barrel. unsure.gif