Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Collection? yeah, right!

MorgansBoss

Sorry FC, posting my whole collection is not something I have enough time for, but here are a few ya'll might find interesting. Maybe I can add some as time goes by. Photo one is three "wall hangers" from my home. Not the typical wall hanger as they all work as intended. My wife's grandfathers, Stevens double hammer gun, a Hopkins & Allen falling block .22 and a Meridian rolling block .22

user posted image

Next is our "family of Mauser hunting rifles." Top is son #1's M96 in 6.5x55, then son #2's M98 in .270 (yes, with claw mounts), my wife's M98 in .308 and finally, my M98 in 7x64

user posted image

Actually there isn't a lot I can add. I picked it up in a trade and suspect it originated from GPC. Under that pretty stain and multiple coats of tung oil is a (eh gads!) hardwood stock! ohmy.gif I can't say for sure but think it may be maple from the scant stripes. BTW, the top two rifles have the button floor plate release I referred to in the "floor plate post."

Guest Guest_MorgansBoss_*

Thanks, yeah I like "the classics" to. Probably why I'm more enthraled with wobbly bolt Mausers than slick, click-clak Coopers or Weatherbys. rolleyes.gif The old Stevens, while a "low-end" gun, is a beauty. She's as tight as the day old Bill bought her way before the war. He never used it much but always took care of it. When he left it to me (there's a story here but waaaay too long for this space) It was clean and well oiled with "tampons" (no, not THAT kind) in the muzzles. The rolling block had a broken main spring and the falling block had a broken lever spring. Since parts aren't available I made both from scratch. For 75 to 100 year-old rifles that were also entry level guns, they're pretty accurate.

The H&A is an incredable piece of work - much higher quality workmanship than the more collectable Stevens "Favorite"! For instance, every part that acts against another part - spring to lever for instance - does so by a roller bearing. Also, it is "a true falling block," in the spirit of Sharps, just a sweet old rifle. Glad ya'll like em!

• 2 weeks later...

Not to split hairs, MorgansBoss, but instead of tampons, weren't the items used in the muzzles of the guns to protect them called tampions?

Clearly, the words are related however!

Guest Guest_MorgansBoss_*

Question #1 - tampons... well, I've seen it that way to and no doubt "tampion" was the original and proper term, later bastardized as "tampon." The more familiar reference to articles of this name more likely came from the gun use. For those unfamiliar - I'm referring (in the gun sense!) to "plugs" stuck in the ends of barrels primarily to prevent the entrance of corrosive moisture. About the only place they're commonly seen these days is on the remaining big guns of naval ships.

Question #2 - scope position - Well, this is another one... Yes the scope is pretty far back and its an eye buster if you're not careful. The receiver had the claw mounts and I had a whale of a time trying to find rings to fit the existing bases without breaking the bank. Consequently, the ones I did finally locate are as far back on the bell as I can get them, which of course puts the scope in this awkward position. Someday perhaps I'll correct the problem. In the mean time - it works. rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the clarity, MorgansBoss!

I am of course familiar with both terms, but I had no idea that the term tampion would actually be bastardized to tampon...I mean, why? LOL!