Military Firearm Restoration Corner

D&T question

TLynn

spec4 E4

(6/17/05 22:56)

Reply D&T question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have an question on the D&T fixture for the mauser. I know most of them used the three holes bars for the 1 pcs mount, But is there an fixture for the two pcs mount?

Thanks

spec.4

donmarkey

(6/18/05 9:37)

Reply D&T question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most jigs are for 2 pc mounts The spacing is the same you just don't need the 4th hole for 1 pc mounts. You might have to shift the jig around if you have a intermediate action.

Don

Sailormilan2

(6/18/05 12:39)

Reply Re: D&T question

I will post some pictures or links to show hole spacing and positions on standard 98 receivers and the yugo style.

I had placed colored dots on the receiver showin the hole postions. The black holes would be the postions of the holes on a standard 98 receiver.

The red dot shows the position of the upper scope screw on a Yugo Mauser. Since it is only .2" further back than the same hole would be on a standard Mauser 98, there is plenty of room for a one piece base. However, if you try to use the two base on a Yugo, you run into problems. The rear of the base over hangs the rear receiver ring and cam.

But you can move it forward and position the rear base hole over the red dot. But you can't do that with the standard mauser D&T guide in place. So, I use the B-Square base marked "S" ( I assume the Wheeler setup is similar), and I tap the positioning pins up out of the way. This gives me the latitude to move the D&T guide farther forward. The rear mount can be positioned far enough forward to hide the charger clip slot. The green dot shows the position of the front screw hole, if done this way.

But,this is only if you have contoured the receiver bridge. Leupold makes a rear base for 98s with the charger clip hump in place. but, its hole spacing is closer together, and the corner milled to miss the bolt cam as it is positioned farther back. This base does allow you to use the one piece bases

too.

www.geocities.com/sailormilan2/receiverh.JPG

www.geocities.com/sailormilan2/receivere.JPG

www.geocities.com/sailormilan2/receiver.JPG

www.geocities.com/sailormilan2/steyra.JPG

www.geocities.com/sailormilan2/jiga.JPG

spec4 E4

(6/18/05 17:57)

Thanks for the replies and the pic. I have been thinking about getting an D&T fixture and save. I have about 30 receivers that need to be D&T. But I must learn how to remove the hump of the charger clip.

Thanks

spec.4

Sailormilan2

(6/18/05 18:30)

I use a miling fixture on my lathe. Not the best setup but it works. I use an end mill cutter, then use a cup grinder to smooth it out. I am not a machinist by any means. I have been learning as I go. I make a lot of mistakes, broken some end mill cutters. But I have been having fun and it keeps me busy.

The angle that the rear bridge is sloped at is a 30* angle. I mill off both sides, then take the left over little peak in the middle with a file. Then polish from there.

spec4 E4

(6/19/05 11:55)

I will have to remove the hump by hand. I don't have any machine to do it for me. I have files, sand paper and deremal.