Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Yugo Made 8mm Auto-Rifle

roscoedoh

I happened upon this link somehow and thought I'd pass it along. It seems the Zastava factory in Yugoslavia is making a 7.9mm marksman type rifle based on an AK platform. I further assume that 7.9mm is really 7.9x57, the 8x57JS all us Mauser fanatics are familiar with. Now, I know that M48 Yugo Mausers saw service up through the current wars fought over there. Therefore, I'm guessing they chambered this rifle to utilize their stores of 8mm ammo?

In any event, I found it interesting that someone would still be making a military arm chambered for the 8x57JS cartridge.

Zastava 7.9mm Semi-Auto Rifle

Jason

Guest Unregistered guest
That's wierd. It looks part Draganov, part M-16. I wonder why they went with that caliber?

6219[/snapback]

Yeah, those have been around for a long time. In the original military form (which I think is not legal, as it is or can be, select fire, and is not marked as such. I kind of remember a couple of years ago, BATF calling in some kits which turned out to be select fire. I will bet someone reading this can add. I didn't get involved in that, although I almost bought one complete just before the Assault weapons ban in CA went into effect. A well known gun shop in SoCal had it, but I remember one of the people there getting greedy and cranking up the price while we were discussing giving it a new home), it also has a dialable gas system, for both tactical and ammo matching purposes.

In this iteration, think RPK semi, or Romak 3/PSL in 8mm as opposed to 7.62 x 54r. Of the bunch, I would take the Romak 3. I would sell blood for a Romak 3 in 6.5 or 7mm Mauser. Or the great sleeper round, 7.65 x 53.5. 6.5 would still be best.

• 5 months later...