Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Corelite Stock and A&B Combos

TLynn

roscoedoh

(6/17/05 18:02)

Reply Corelite Stock and A&B Combos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A friend of mine is hot for a 257 Roberts. I was talking it over with him today and mentally examining the possibility of getting my hands on a Turk action and one of the stock and barrel combos from Midway and building a 257 Roberts for myself and then selling it to him. My questions are: are corelite stocks worth a darn (at all?) and has the quality of the A&B barrels improved any from what they used to be (rough and unreliable)?

What's the feed back on a budget minded sporter here?

And I also have a technical question: is it possible to turn the threads on a LR Mauser barrel down and rethread it for a SR Mauser? Its 1.10 vs .980. Is that enough?

Thanks all,

Jason

Edited by: roscoedoh at: 6/17/05 18:06

Doble Troble

(6/17/05 18:09)

Re: Corelite Stock and A&B Combos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. I don't have anything to say about the Corelite, but the A&B that I've used (to make a 6.5 x 55 BJAI) is reasonably accurate (I'm still working on it - it seems to like the longer bullets - I should have a 140 gr load worked-up soon) but it WAS rough. Its not rough anymore but it took a few hundred strokes with a tight-fitting patch saturated with J&B. If I were to do it over again I'd go with a LW blank, but the A&B makes good sense for low cost experimentation. I'd recommend a Richard's second real wood stock for the same or less money but of course that's a lot more work.

PS I think the cartridge choice is EXCELLENT and could only be improved on by going with a 7 x 57 or 6.5 x 55

PSS Let me know if you need a Turk worthy of sporterization.

I am Bubba (but learning)

Edited by: Doble Troble at: 6/17/05 18:12

sonic1

(6/17/05 18:38)

Reply Re: Corelite Stock and A&B Combos

yes the large ring can be recut for small ring

z1r

(6/17/05 18:48)

"What's the feed back on a budget minded sporter here?"

That's exactly what these were made for. The corelite stock I used was ok. What do you want for the price? It had a decent recoil pad on it and the "wood" to metal fit was no worse than the crap I've gotten from Richards.

Yes, the LR threads can be recut to SR size. If it is a good deal then why not go for it.

Sailormilan2

(6/17/05 19:40)

Of course, if you want you can get the shorter F14 contour barrels already threaded for the small ring. Sharp taper, 21" long, should make a nice light deer rifle.

Sailormilan2

(6/17/05 19:49)

Or, go to EvilBay (eBay), and find one of those rethreaded Remington 700 take off barrels. Rethreaded to small ring Mauser threads. Right now there are three, a 243 Win, a 25-06, and a 308 Win.

Then put it in a nice laminated stock like from Boyds or from Richards MicroFit.

fritz501

The Gentleman Farmer & Piglet Exterminator

(6/17/05 21:50)

Sailormilan2

You had to do it, didn't you? Just when I try to buy something on eBay, and have the high bid, someone here comes up with the notion of bidding against me!

Now, Fundillo Bill in his wisdom on his site, has declared that direct links to eBay auctions is verboten. But since you didn't post a direct link, I'll let you slide this time, lol

fritz

"It seemed like yesterday, but it was long ago---we were young and strong and running against the wind"

carzngunz

(6/17/05 21:56)

I rebarreled a 1909 for a friend last hunting season using a 25-06 A&B and he put it in a corelite stock. With no bedding, it shot sub moa and got a lot better with handloads. The barrel was a lot nicer inside than I was led to believe from others. Overall I think it is a good deal if you are working with a limited budget.

tinkerfive

(6/17/05 21:58)

Fritz brings up a point.

I shop E-bay and have wondered if ever I'm competing

against any fellow board members. I have recognized the

occasional " handle " when it's the same.

I go by something else on E-bay.

Should we make a list of 'handles' so we aren't competing

against each other?

Tinker (Iceman_42)

mod70

(6/17/05 22:04)

ezSupporter

For C&Rs, Midway has several of the A&B/Corelite combos for $124 right now. I think I will get the 6.5x55 & 35 Whelen but am tempted by the .280 also. They have a 38'06 A-square combo for about $115 on closeout but the dies cost $50 on sale and I already have dies for some of the others.

z1r

(6/17/05 23:11)

Mod70, are those RCBS dies? I bought lee dies for about $25 for the .338-06. They are so-called limited production or some such!

Jason,

If you get the A&B bbl & want it rethreaded let me know.

One thing about the f34, it seems too heavy for a .257 to me. but that's probably just me. Everyone else seems to like heavy bbls.

Sailormilan2

(6/17/05 23:20)

z1r, that is why I mentioned the F14 barrel. Seems perfect for me in 257 robers. I have one, getting ready to install it.

z1r

(6/18/05 0:20)

Only problem I see with the F14 is that they no longer make stock that fit the barrel. The F34 inletted stocks are too wide. The fajen Classic stocks were inletted to fit the F14.

i like the F14 barrel taper better for that cartridge too. Only I wish it were at least 22". I'm funny that way. though, in truth, you'd never know the difference.

Sailormilan, that will make a fine little rifle. Very handy and no Texas deer will be a match!

roscoedoh

(6/18/05 1:02)

Fellows,

I'll talk to my friend tomorrow to see if he'd be interested in this sort of thing.

If not, I may just have to buy a combo for myself sooner or later and try it. I'm out of mad money right now so if its a "me" project, it may have to be backshelved for a while.

Thanks for the feedback yall!

Jason

mod70

(6/18/05 12:54)

ezSupporter

z1r

yes RCBS

not being familiar with the A-square suffix I though it might be a different wildcat and need a different die set than a regular 338'06. If they are the same cartridge I might get it instead of the Whelen as the Lee dies are only about $15-17 and I don't have Whelen dies either

Odies dad

(6/20/05 10:03)

I've been very happy with all the A&B barrels I have used. They all shoot better than I do. The Corelite stocks are OK. Better than Ramline anyway. They do flex some but are fairly solid feeling. They have a decent recoil pad. Getting the combo reduces your inletting time. The A&B barrels fit pretty good in them.

Liberals are the only known species whose powers of reasoning are not improved by the benefit of hindsight.

IZH27

(6/20/05 19:53)

Jason,

Here is my first project. Metal is unfinished as yet. I made the stock.

(the photo's were not there so I could not transfer them)

Here is a target with .85 grainers. Sierra HP's. Nowhere near the lands but it shoots after working up the loads. Still working on heavier loads.

The Topmost hole is from My BIL's 25-06. He shot the wrong target!:-) The one below is a fouling shot from my 6.5x55 with A & B Barrel. The cluster below is 4 shots. All done at 100Yd.

My barrel is a shooter. No fouling of the barrel yet!

Good luck with your project!

Steve

roscoedoh

(6/20/05 21:04)

SWEET!

I love the snable tip!

I guess the quality of the A&B's has increased since they've come out. My buddy said he'd think about. Perhaps I could work on him a bit...

Jason