Military Firearm Restoration Corner

An idea from Horsefly

MorgansBoss

"I wish we could have a gunboard class reunion so I could shake everyones hand"

I cut the above quote from another post by Horsefly. I'm sure all the regulars here have had a similar thought at least once, I know I'd love to see most of ya face to face someday. Of course the fact that we're scattered all over the map don't make it to likely... unless...

Is there any interest in maybe setting up a hunting trip somewhere for 2006? Now (waaay in advance so the details can be worked out before tags need to be applied for if necessary) would be the time to start talking about it. I know this is kind of a far fetched idea but like anything, it'll never happen if its not suggested!

How bout it, any interest? Any suggestions or ideas? Of course most of us fit the cheap-skate mold cool.gif so it'd have to be a bargain hunt, preferably somewhere rather centrally located. Somewhere and sometime with a place and warm enough weather for us to sit around the fire half the night debating calibers, actions, tools, liquor and all the other usual stuff.

If we set it up far enough in advance you can count me in. Meeting new folks, putting faces to the internet voices, and hunting, who could ask for more.

Or, if a hunt would not be everyones bag, maybe a two or three day national shoot of some sort. The idea of getting everyone in one spot for a time to meet and enjoy one anothers company would be a great idea. My only thoughts are that there are some that might not be up to the physical aspects of cold weather hunts. Centrally located during hunting season often is not a warm weather event. Just a thought. swamp_thing

Now it's certain that not everyone will be able to make any single event - for instance, Uncle Sam ain't likely to let Reverend Recoil fly back for a hog hunt or something. (sorry Rev.)

The issue is on the floor for discussion. These and a whole bunch more are the things we need to discuss before moving ahead with the idea folks. Let's hear everyone's thoughts.

MB,

I'd be game for a hunt or something similar. If all works out for me as I plan...I aught to able to afford it. Now if I could get the time off from a new job; that may become the question.

Never-the-less, here's some food for thought: plan the hunt(?) within reasonable driving distance of an airport. Since we're scattered everywhere, I imagine some of the interested parties may wish to fly in. Further, I'd plan it as a Friday arrival/ Sunday departure kind of thing. It could be that I think in terms of weekends, but they've always been the most convenient for me to travel around on.

Further, we need to decide if we want a hunt, shoot, bonfire, BS session or just what exactly. The first thing that comes to mind would is a hog hunt in Texas. Point of fact, there are some guys on another board that get together once a year and go on a Texas hog hunt. It's doable and is probably our least expensive game animal. I'm just throwing this out there and I don't yet have a preference either way.

I'll also add that depending on what part of 2006 this thing falls on, the good Reverend may be able attend as I believe he said he'd be home by June 06.

In any event, I think MB has seized upon a good idea. I'd love to get the chance to meet some of you folks and shake a few hands myself. Please keep me in the loop on this.

Thanks,

Jason