Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Shorten Mauser actions?

TLynn

Clarkma

(6/21/05 5:44)

Reply Shorten Mauser actions?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Randy Ketchum wants to do one for me.

I see it has been done in the old Dunlap book.

Anyone done this recently?

I am thinking of just leaving the 1903 Turks long for the .223.

z1r

(6/21/05 11:43)

Reply Re: Shorten Mauser actions?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I helped a friend weld up one. There is a lot of work involved. He did it as part of a class project. Otherwise, neither of us would waste our time on it, especially in .223. I'd pay $450 and get a new cz527 in .223 and be done with it.

For a .473 sized casehead and a case like the .250-3000 or perhaps .22-250 I might see expending the effort. But IMHO, unless you have all the time in the world or money I don't see it as a conversion that is worth the effort anymore.

tanglewood16137

(6/21/05 17:56)

Well heres a spin if you cut 2 mausers in different places and put them back together you yield a short action and a very long action. so you get bonus out of it.

Rod

z1r

(6/21/05 18:05)

Lengthening an action isn't such a good idea in my book either. A standard 98 opened up to .375 length already has too much bolt wobble when the bolt is fully retracted. Lengthen the bolt and it only gets worse.