Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mauser Floor Plate Latch

Johns98s

I want to make a 98 Mauser with a different latch for a hinged floorplate. I have a picture that looks like a double barrel shotgun forend stock latch modified for a Mauser. I've done some research and found a shotgun latch that is identical to the one in the picture. It's called a Deely & Edge Fastener and is found on Parker and Prussian Charles Daly shotguns. Does anyone have any information on this? If none of this makes sense, just take it as the rambling of an "off his rocker" old man. Anyway, thank you.

In Christ. John

I make those. He is referring to the recessed type that is fit like a forend latch on a double. I will try to find some pics. I thought about making some but too many irons already in the fire. Maybe I need to get some info to Karl and see if he can do the engineering. Making them is the easy part.

Don

John is this what you are referring to? I believe they were made by recknagel years ago. I did not see them in the catalog I have. I think you can download their current catalog from the web if you can read the German. New England custom guns is the us importer of you are on this side of the pond.

Don

5D05950F-FCE1-4309-8FDE-A3434ADEB60B_zps

Not at all Quick karl, I am far from being an "engineering. " man. : )

I learned the hard way what I can do and what I cannot,

Karl

I'm in Karl's camp, an engineer I'm not. One thing I quickly discovered after I began hanging on this page is how ignorant I am. I'm really envious of the creative artistic skill I've seen here the past 10 years. As Mausers, Springfields and even Enfields have become to valuable to sportorize or butcher as collectors see it. I'm afraid the rifle building skill and knowledge will be lost in the future. Hopefully I'm wrong but I'm afraid the next generation of gunsmiths will not be artists but simply parts replacers.

I am afraid you may be correct. Many of the old school artisans/artist trades have been made obsolete by industrialization. Like butchers, bakers, blacksmiths and other once common and necessary trades, gunsmithing's customer base is shrinking as automation replaces the human touch.

A mixed blessing at best.

Fyrd

• 3 weeks later...

You are entirely correct, Fydr. Todays 'gunsmith', especially those who consider themselves 'rifle smiths', stay as far away from handwork as possible. It's all about CNC machining, McMillian stocks that need nothing more than a bedding job, 'drop-in' triggers that never get touched by a stone, and claiming to measure to impossible standards only obtainable in the finest inspection labs. They've never learned to use a file, and metal finishing is done with a bead blaster. It's what the masses seem to want. By the way,, nice floor plate set-up!