Military Firearm Restoration Corner

98 Action Question.

rdm1962

I picked up a 98 barreled receiver (bnz 41 ) at last weeks gun show. It had been D&T and stripper clip hump removed. The work looked very well done. Any how I unscrewed the original barrel. It came off fairly easy. A lot less effort than the Yugos and Turks I've done. It did require the action wrench to unscrew it completely. It wouldn't turn by hand after being broke loose. I got out the Douglass 30-06 barrel that is going to be installed and it wouldn't screw in more than 1 thread. So I got out a 243 barrel and again wouldn't thread in either. I tried to screw the original barrel back on an it would only screw in about a thread and a half. All 3 barrels will screw into a Youg action I have by hand. I have a Weller bolt lapping tool. The 98 adapter will thread in perfectly. Anyone have any insights on this? Ralph

Either there's a burr on the thread or the thread is a little out of spec. If you lube up one of your barrels with anti-seize, can you screw them in all the way with an action wrench without using a whole lot of force? Inspect the threads first with a magnifying glass, particularly where it starts getting hard to turn in.

It is possible that the receiver ring has been slightly squished by by someone using a wrong or poorly adjusted receiver wrench. this would account for the resistance to turning by hand after the barrel was broke loose.

Update, I tried DR. Hess advice. I could screw the original barrel back on half way with the action wrench. It did require some force. I turned it a thread then backed off. I got it to were I could turn it by hand after several back and fourth several times. I think I'll need to chase the receiver threads with a tap. I'm going to post a thread about wanting to rent a receiver tap. Thanks Ralph