Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Keep it 8x57?

TLynn

roscoedoh

(6/20/05 19:19)

Reply What to do next?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys,

I have a good 98/22 stock that I'm decosmo-izing that I have designs of using to build a quick open-sighted sporter out of.

I also have a good 98/22 barrel and a fairly usable K98 barrel. Neither of them are earmarked for anything specific at the moment.

The 98/22 action the stock and barrel came from is in the stages of (slowly) becoming an 8x68s. So I have a stock, barrel, and Turk action(s) I can use (or I could get another cheap and go to town with it!).

At this stage, I have 3 projects nearing completion and I'm contemplating throwing something easy together out of the parts I have amassed. I wouldn't mind another 8x57 sporter to replace the whole in my collection, but I'm also leaning toward the 8mm-06 or 8x64 Brenneke. And, I'm on a budget. The 8x60s is out right now as I don't have the $100+ for reloading dies. If I built a 8mm/06 or 8x57, all I'd need would be to borrow a reamer. The 8x64 is neater though and has slightly more panache.

What do you guys think?

Results (total votes = 3):

8x57JS 1 / 33.3%

8mm-06 0 / 0.0%

Something else: Please state what else. 2 / 66.7%

z1r

(6/20/05 20:42)

Reply Re: What to do next?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I say do the 8x57. You can feed it & build it cheaply. Besides, with the 8x68S, everything between the 8x57 and it would be redundant, though fun.

roscoedoh

(6/20/05 20:57)

Reply Re:What to do next?

Z,

That's the way I'm leaning.

Which ever direction I take, would I want the military ladder sight? Or would I want to dig through that big bag of sights I have and put some Rem sights on a stepped barrel?

Dadgumit, I've about talked myself into yet another time consuming project...

Jason

z1r

(6/20/05 22:13)

Reply Re: Re:What to do next?

Jason,

I like this sight:

user posted image

I'm not sure if it is a rework milsurp or a commercial variant. The sites on my CZ425 trainer are very similar, and they look like some of the original mauser sporter sights. You could easily reshape a milsurp sight and add a windage adjustable blade.

Doble Troble

(6/21/05 9:11)

Re: Re:What to do next?

I agree 100 % that keeping the stock 8 x 57 is the smart route. Loaded-up it's just as good as about anything through the 8 x 68.

Now that I've got common sense out of the way, let me suggest a wildcat - an 8 x 63. Similar to an 8 mm - 06 but instead of an 8 mm -06 reamer you just use an 8 x 57 reamer until a 8 mm neck sized 30-06 case gives a bit of a crush fit. This should give a blown-out, improved 8 mm-06. You'll be able to use cheap 8 x 57 dies for neck sizing, bumping the shoulder back when necessary, and for bullet seating.

It's hard to say how long the neck would be, but these concerns are part of the fun. I bet it would turn-out great. You might want to try it out on your bad bore barrel first.

The two most important things are: (1) to learn something and (2) make something that will be fun to shoot.

I am Bubba (but learning)

z1r

(6/21/05 10:40)

Jason,

The main reason I said what I did, since I know that you like I, will have at least one of each 8mm caliber before we are done, is tha you need to simplify your life now. Keep it simple and enjoy more shooting. I have a feeling your life will be very busy in the near future. My trend of late has been toward cartridges I can buy over the counter so I can spend more time shooting and less loading. now, if I can just finish up all the projects in the pipeline, so I can get out of my shop, lol.

The biggest plus I see going for the 8x57, in addition to what DT said, is that it is dirt cheap to build and feed. Dies alone for all but the 8mm-06 are not cheap. And, it has the largest selection of off the shelf ammo. I'm sure a box of 8x64 is no less than $40.

Do you have a good 8mm bbl? I just happen to have one with a super bore. Some jerk tried to contour it himself but I'm sure I can make it look real nice. Make a real light contour. Interested?

montea6b

(6/21/05 10:57)

Z,

Nice looking rifles, (although I assume from your comment that they're not yours.) However, I can't understand something... The square bridge in the front receiver ring is notable taller than the rear. I thought that the rear had to be taller to bring it up to the level of the front? If you mounted a scope it looks as though you'd have to use different height rings to compensate. It just looks odd to me.

DT,

Your wildcat sounds intriguing, but I'm having a hard time seeing exactly how it's different from a 8mm-06. It seems as though your simply suggesting a different method of ending up at the same point; chamber that will fit a 30-06 case necked up to an 8mm. And how would you check headspace?

Doble Troble

(6/21/05 11:36)

Re: Re:What to do next?

monte,

I haven't studied the conversion in detail - Jason's question just got me thinking - and Old Hans' 7.62 x 57 made with a 308 reamer by reaming further.

Using an 8 x 57 reamer to ream to 63 mm would result in a cartridge that would look like a streached 8 mm - 6 mm longer at the base. It would be blown-out because the taper would start later and be more gradual than the -06. If memory serves the shoulder angle and diameter are similar, but the 8 x 57 neck is shorter.

It's probably a risky scheme, but if successful would allow cheap reamers and dies to be used, and result in a cartridge that probably noone else has. It will have increased capacity over the 8 mm-06. If you've got a shout or rusted-out barrel around it's cheap to try.

Regarding headspace guages, I'm a Bubba and don't need them ). Us Bubbas use formed cases to set headspace (so wildcatting step 1 is to establish how you're going to make your cases). Only professional Bubbas should engage in this practice, don't try this at home.

I am Bubba (but learning)

z1r

(6/21/05 11:39)

Montea6b,

You are right on both counts:

First, those are not my rifles but I would like them to be.

Second, the rear scope base usually is taller. At least when typical american rings are used. Our rings are sized the same and are interchangable front to rear. These are European quick release rings and the front ring is shorter thus the taller front base. Good catch. I wondered if anyone would notice. That's one of the benefits of 20/20 vision.

montea6b

(6/21/05 14:51)

DT,

I re-read your first post and it makes a little more sense now. For some reason I at first thought that you were talking about forming cases from 8mm!

And I guess you could probably use a 30-06 headspace gauge vice a case if you wanted to be more precise. The result, as you said, would be a sort of a "blown out improved" version of the 8mm-06.

I need to read the Bubba manual.

roscoedoh

(6/21/05 20:02)

Reply Re:What to do next?

Gentlemen,

An 8x57JS it is. I have a pretty good Czech barrel I plan to try and use and if it turns out to be crap, Z, I will definitely get in touch with you. Otherwise, my 'smith liked the rifling in the barrel that I'm reffering to so it may be a winner.

I'm going to do something with the stock I mentioned, possibly shaping the butt to match something closed to the Boyd's JRS I have. If there's enough wood there, I may give it some it some side panels. In any event, once I get done with it, it should be unique and interesting.

I haven't planned out the particulars on it yet, but I am leaning toward a longer barrel and open sights, although I may go ahead and D/T the receiver just in case. In regard to the open sights, Z I sent you an email on that - look at it when you've got a minute or two and let me know what you think. I also need to get with you on that safety equipment I bought a month ago and is now collecting dust.

Anywho, I'm going to experiment with a baked-on finish with this rifle and I'm scouting plow disks and pipe. I'll keep yall posted.

Take care,

Jason

*PS - German speakers: this will be my pig hunting rifle. How is that spelled in German? Scwinejaegergeweher?