Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Need To Rent A Large Ring Receiver Thread Tap.

rdm1962

I did a post today about a 98 action that I couldn't get a new barrel to screw into. After some suggestions I came to the conclusion that I need to chase the receivers threads.

Does anyone have a large ring (1.1x12) tap and handle I could rent. Please let me know. I would hate to but on from Midway for $85 plus shipping if someone has one just sitting on the bench. Thanks Ralph

Ralph, rather than chase the threads with a tap, I would suggest you use and old barrel stub, liberally

coated with abrasive valve lapping compound and run it in and out until you get the desired fit.

If you have access to a lathe you can thread a piece of round stock to a little smaller than 1.10-12 this would make it easier to start into the ring.

Either way you go, lapping will bring the threads back without removing too much metal. this method has worked well for me in the past.

Or find some one with a barrel threading die. Since those are often a "split" type, you can loosen or tighten then a bit to adjust your thread size for a better fit. I think they are a bit more expensive to buy, but they also might be easier to find.

But, I agree with Ken, that lapping will also work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jim, the tap arrived yesterday. I ran it in and out a few times with a lot of cutting oil. Bam it worked like a charm. I could hand thread my Douglas 30-06 barrel.

I looked at the threads to see if the was an "uneven" area or a section that might have been out of round. Everything looked fine. The problem must have been war time productions standards might have slipped or something.

Thanks again Jim. I'll get your tap in the mail on Monday. Ralph

• 3 weeks later...

Ralph you didn't need to be in a hurry to get that tap back to me but thank you and I'm glad it worked for you. And you sure didn't need to send me any money , I loaned it to you ,didn't rent it to you . That was sure a stand up thing for you to do and I didn't realize until today that you had done that. I had left the tap unopened on the kitchen table until today when the wife asked me to do something with it, and was very surprised when I removed it from the box you mailed it in to put it away and found you had mailed money with it. Thank you , but I put the cash in the mail back to you. I'd prefer we just help one another out when we can if that's ok with you. Thanks again Ralph and hope that 06 makes a tac driver. Jim

Jim, I'll let you know how the 06 is when finished. You have my number. If you come to St. Louis give me a call and We'll go have a beer. Thanks again for the loan. Ralph