Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Wonderin' about your deer season ?

manureman

Just wonderin' what deer season amounts to in everyone elses' neck of the woods.Here it's a religious holiday lol... that runs Nov.12-22 thats what they call the november portion.Its the regular centerfire rifle season.A tag cost residents $17.00 this is what Missouri calls a any deer tag ,it allows you to kill a doe or a legal buck.To be legal in my county a buck can be a button,a spike with spikes shorter than 3 inches or a buck with at least 4 points on one side.You are allowed only one buck per season.You can also buy antlerless deer tags which are good for does or button bucks for $7.00 each and in this county you can buy as many of these as you want.You are allowed to hunt with any ceterfire pistol,revolver or rifle using expanding-type bullets, shotguns with slugs only,muzzleloaders.40 cal and larger all kills are to be checked in over the phone or internet(both new this year) on the day killed.Muzzleloader only season runs Nov.25-Dec.4,you use the same tags for this season so if you killed a buck with your centerfire you cant with your front stuffer.About 2/3s of the state has a antlerless only portion runningDec.10-18(my county aint one of em that does) There is also a youth only season for kids 6-15 on Oct.29-30 and its for 1 deer of either sex. Bow season runs Sept15-Nov11-Nov23-Jan15 limit 2 bucks and all the does you want.No hunting at night,with dogs or over bait (gun or bow).If you own at least 5 acres your tags are free as long as you hunt on land you own or lesse,this applies to all immediate family living on the place. So how much different is this from where your at?? Jim

Here in Maryland the DNR wants the deer killed to make the insurance companies happy. Hunting license costs $24.50 for residents, $130 for non-residents. Bow season starts Sept. 15 and runs till Jan. 31, M/L season is a week & a half in Oct. and two weeks in Dec. Rifle season is two weeks starting the Sat. after Thanksgiving. Except in the two most western counties the limit is two bucks and ten does per season - that's THIRTY-SIX!

The problem is that there are so danged many city people buying up land and building houses and not allowing hunting that the deer are out of control near them. Of course where you can hunt, the population gets hammered while the real problem (where the houses are) just keeps getting worse.

Here in Kansas deer season runs Nov. 30--Dec. 11. Resident tag cost $30.00. You can buy a Whitetail either sex tag over the counter., or put in for the any deer tag draw. The any deer tag is good for either sex in either a Mule deer or Whitetail. My son drew a any deer tag this year, and I have the either sex Whitetail tag. We have been watching a trophy class 7X7 mule deer the past couple of weeks. I hope he gets it!!! This is my favorite time of the year, and we take this VERY serious!!!! You won't find me in the shop, or at home when the season starts. We have shot a lot of deer in the past years, and we pass on a lot of little deer.

Thanks, and good luck in your hunts, Davis.

well, modern firearm deer season has been over for some time here in washington. it started October 15 and ended october 23. an over the counter tag for buck (3 pt minimum) will run a resident $39.42 for tag and license. $394.20 for a non-resident. we can put in for drawings on other specialty tags, antlerless whitetail, any whitetail, any buck, etc. for an additional $5.48. i ended up with a little three point (forked with eyeguards) whitetail. his brother was a four point, and fell to our hunting partner. my dad didnt end up with anything, but we did see some dandys after the season closed.

In Arizona deer tags are drawn by a lottery. Every year it becomes more difficult. Arizona's population growth is second to Nevada and the gap between the number of available tags and entrants keeps growing. I wasn't drawn this year for deer or elk. I do like to brag about getting my limit 3 out of 4 trips during dove season but outside of that hunting this year for me has been dismal. To increase my chance in the upcoming Spring Javalina lottery I applied for a HAM (handgun, archery, muzzle loader) permit. I may try for a HAM permit next deer season but I'm not good enough to try and bag an elk with anything other than a high powered rifle.

Well, you fellows talking of lotteries for hunting permits/tags, makes me wonder about your situation.

Everyone knows that in a lottery there will be more losers than winners. But the fees for entering the lottery for the permits/tags seems to be pretty low. Why

no just charge more for the license? Texas has tags as part of the license, you pay extra for the endorsements that allow you to hunt (remember I said HUNT, not kill) animals other than deer.

It can add up pretty quick if you intend to hunt anything other than deer.

And the deer hunts are regulated by counties. Some counties allow only one deer to be killed. You can HUNT as many as you want, but in many counties you can only KILL one deer.

If that makes sense to you, come to Texas--the guvnor would love to sell you a license.

He needs all the dinero he can get.

It's for the children.

fritz

Why not just charge more for the license?

6587[/snapback]

I don't think that would be fare at all. It wasn't to many years ago I was sole support for a wife and four kids. I could barely afford to go hunting. Wouldn't be right to deny somebody the chance to go hunting that is struggling to pay his bills. By charging astronomical fees is one way they regulate hunting in the UK and it has turned into a rich man's sport.

The problem in Arizona is more hunters than available game. My cheif complaint with the current lottery is the advantage given to bow hunters. Nothing wrong with a bow season only, but I don't think it is fare giving the bow hunters an earlier season than rifle hunters year after year.

AzRednek

You miss my point.

What I am saying is that for the basic license, all you can HUNT (not KILL) in Texas is deer, and that is severely restricted by county.

If you want to HUNT a dove, you need an "endorsement" ($7), if you want to HUNT a quail, you need another "endorsement" ($7).

If you want to archery HUNT you need another "endorsement". I don't even know what this costs, because I am not an archer.

Bottom line, if you gonna hunt in Texas, you need more than a fiddle in the band!

fritz

I'm in northwest NC and the bow season is in full swing since early September. Black powder opens for a week this Saturday and the rifle season the next Saturday. Runs until about the first of the year with a limit of 6. It's a pretty big deal with a lot of absenteeism at the schools. I don't hunt much here, though. Being a business owner makes it almost impossible to hunt from home. We go to West Virginia for the big event and take a few hours occasionally around home when the opportunity arises. We have a small parcel with a couple of campers set up on it. Makes for a pretty comfortable setup. Friends allow us access to nearly 800 private acres! Non-resident licenses in WV start around $110 and go up with each additional $25 stamp that is required for additional deer (bucks or does) with different weapons. I spent $135 for a license, conservation stamp and an additional doe tag this year. I don't hunt turkey, bow hunt or (usually) ML so it doesn't cost me as much as it could. WV licenses run with the calendar year unlike NC which runs July 1-June 30 each year. I've had a lifetime Sportsmans License sine the '80's so I'd have to look at the fee schedule. The schools close down for opening week in the county we hunt in. Guess you'd have to say it's a big deal there, too! My dad started taking me with him when I was 11 in '71. We've only missed one year together since. He's 72 and I'm the one taking care of the arrangements now. He's in good health for his age but I keep a pretty close eye on him. Heck, I would much rather help him drag out a nice buck than kill it myself anyway! biggrin.gif

Guest Guest_MorgansBoss_*

Don't want to hijack the thread but in regard to some issues raised above,

"...I don't think it is fare giving the bow hunters an earlier season than rifle hunters year after year..."

I'm not an archer either, but I do know archers MUST get much closer to the game to be effective and this is traditionally the reason given for opening the archery season earlier before the game is as spooky from a lot of pressure.

As for license prices... I'm sure we all hear the poor-mouthing from our game departments about under-funded budgets. We all see where things should be done that aren't, the excuse being "we can't afford to..." Like fritz, I've long advocated raising the price of a hunting license. I don't buy the "I can't afford it" argument. Usually, the same guy poor-mouthing about license prices is carrying a five hundred dollar bow or six hundred dollar rifle riding in a $30,000 truck. Even if you only hunt on your own and once a year, the established value (set by what people are willing to pay outfitters) makes a $50 hunting license a bargain streched out over the whole license year / season. Shoot, dinner and a movie for you and your ______ (companion of choice wink.gif ) will run you a lot more than that!