Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Quick Spray-On Finish Question

roscoedoh

(6/21/05 21:57)

Reply Quick Spray-On Finish Question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In regards to curing the spray-on finish in your oven:

Do these products leave behind any foul odors or lingering flavors in the food? I know there are several things, BBQ paint for example, that if you put them in the oven and cook'em, they'll make your cakes and fishsticks taste like a hell fire smells. So, on the chance I need to cure something like a triggerguard or similar small part, could I get away with using the oven without ruining its cooking ability?

Thanks,

Jason

fritz501

The Gentleman Farmer & Piglet Exterminator

(6/21/05 22:20)

Reply Re: Quick Spray-On Finish Question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I doubt if it has any ill effect on the food cooked in the oven later, but it leaves a foul smell in the kitchen.

The first and last time I did one in mrs fritz's oven, I found some vanilla extract and saturated some paper towels with it and placed them around in the house to kill the odor. Sure made the joint smell good. She must have suspected something from that!

fritz

"It seemed like yesterday, but it was long ago---we were young and strong and running against the wind"

Clarkma

(6/21/05 22:34)

I cooked a Rem1100 barrel with Brownell's spray lacquer in the oven when my wife was gone.

lacquer thinner toxic rating link

Of the levels of poison, Lacquer thinner fumes from the oven is at the "kiss it good-bye" level.

It stunk up the house so bad, I have suffered braid damage ever since, but now enjoy the Dukes of Hazzard.

sniper hide post on homemade paint oven

Edited by: Clarkma at: 6/21/05 22:36

manureman

(6/22/05 4:58)

Jason same story here ,dont remember it making anything taste bad ,but momma got home earlier than usual and I didnt have time to fritz up the house so to speak ,didnt think 3M was going to be able to make enough ductape to hold my guts in after the butt chewin' I got.But your young and single so a ductape shortage probably wouldnt be a problem for you.Jim