Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Another state park closed

fritz

I can't recall which forum it was posted, but the one about Somerville State Park being closed comes to mind.

Well, the great state of Texas closed another one--the Matagorda Island State Park. It is now a WMA (wildlife management area).

It is being turned over to private operation (no more fishing by the public). This was a fabulous place to fish, and I thought there were adequate rules in affect to protect it.

Obviously I did not factor in the sorry financial situation the state is in. They are doing this because they want to save money.

It's for the children, don't you know. The state is going broke.

When a local citizen contacted Senator Armbrister's office, and expressed his opposition to the state doing this, he was asked "Do you want more taxes?"

Well, he explained that he was already paying taxes in licenses, fees, etc. for everything from fishing to canoeing to geocaching to viewing the scenery.

But there is tonight one less state park. The word is that only a few pay their way in fees, admissions, etc. The great? state of Texas cannot afford to operate state parks anymore.

What this means to those who used to fish, with their kids, in a state park that is now privatized, is that now you will be required to purchase a Texas fishing license. When it was a state park, under a policy of promoting family activity, the license was not required within the boundaries of the park.

But it's for the children! (I quote guvnor Perry)

And please don't get me started on how the state of Texas acquired the Matagorda Island land. And for damned sure, don't ask me how the Air Force acquired the land (for a bomb range) that turned out to be a country club for big brass( You know, those ranking higher than I ever got to in the AF.)

If anyone thinks this should be moved, feel free to do so. But this was once "range", albeit it different kind of range than a shooting range (unless you were an officer)

fritz

Tony,

I should have posted this on the "Fighting Words" forum. If you feel it fits there, please move it.

I want as many people as possible to know what is going on in Texas.

Thanks again,

fritz

A buddy of mine works at I believe Guadalupe park. He just got through telling me that their budget for this year is about $150K. They make 6 times that. How the hell they run a park on that little is beyond me. Unfortunately all the revenue gets dumped into the general fund where it is squandered rather than re-invested into the parks system.

z1r,

Would that Guadalupe Park be in Texas? I don't know of this park, but I live close to the Guadalupe River, and the Guardalupe Mountains are in West Texas.

But maybe this park is one of the two that are supposedly actually paying their way. I read that only about two out of 120 pay their way. That is why the state is closing them down.

Hell, the state should keep parks open and close the loopholes they give to the state officials (elected or appointed).

You are right about the money going into "general revenue". That is where the Texas lottery money is going. Not to the schools, where it was promised when the voters approved this fiasco.

fritz

Fritz,

I'm not 100% on the name of the park but he lives in Boerne and I know the Guadalupe river is near enough to there. We used to float down the river quite often as kids. If they fund the other parks as badly I find it hard to believe they can't turn a profit. Unless of course the underfunding is reflected in the sorry state of the parks. Didn't they just close that battleship park?

Thanks Tony,

Now as to that "battleship" park, would that be the Battleship Texas at San Jacinto?

I toured it before they completely restored it.

And no, I was not in the Navy.

fritz

You know, I have to wonder if I or my freind didn't get that story about the Texas wrong? It appears to be open. Maybe he was referring to the restoration and I got it mixed up? Anyway, the odd part is that I asked him about it. Asked him if it was the Texas and he gave some other name. Maybe he'd had one too many that night. I was pretty sure it was called the Texas when I visited it. I'm pretty much a sucker for any thing with texas in the name, lol.

Regardless, the whole idea of dumping money into the General fund then spending it one things it wasn't earmarked for is common here too. Same goes for the lottery money? They sure as hell don't pay it out as winnings.

State lotteries are one of the first steps along the long road that leads to a state being insolvent. When a state proposes a lottery on the ballot, it makes all kinds of claims of how all the revenue will go to a popular cause (like schools).

Another step along the road is raising the fees on everything from driver's licenses to park permits.

But the very first step is setting up a state sales tax, then increasing it over the years. Once a tax is established, it is very difficult to lower. The greed for more is always present.

One of the last steps before becoming insolvent is to start shutting down parks and other things that the residents have taken for granted. There comes a time when none of the above steps have created a turn in the road.

The road ahead for Texas is not very pretty, rather it appears to be reverting back to the old rutted roads of the 20's.

But that don't stop state planners to keep trying to push through a multi-billion dollar Trans-Texas Corridor. That sounds like a very nice road, but alas where will the dinero come from?

fritz