Military Firearm Restoration Corner

P114

TLynn

captdavid

(6/21/05 18:45)

Reply P114

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that some early US springfields are dangerous because of their recievers. Are any p14 303s or p17s dangerous? thanks capt david

roscoedoh

(6/21/05 19:49)

Reply Re: P114

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sir,

I am not expert on Enfields, but I'll chime in with what I know.

The barrels on the Enfield rifles were screwed on by rabid 400lb professional arm-wrestling gorillas. That is to say, the barrels are very tight. As such, many a receiver has been cracked trying to remove these barrels without a lathe. So I guess you'd do good to check the front ring with a little gasoline or better yet, get it magnafluxed before you did something with it. Everything I've read points to the Enfield as the biggest and stoutest surplus bolt action you can buy (when you can find them). I'd guess that as long as your's is cracked or warped, you're fine.

Whatcha thinking of building on it? With a whole lot of work, these actions make really nice custom DGR's - so much so that they're out of my league.

The above is just about all I know about Enfields so I'll defer to the experts on this if I've miss stated something.

Good Luck!

Jason

z1r

(6/21/05 21:30)

The eddystones from what little I know are the ones most likely to have cracks. Sporterizing an enfield is mucho lotsa work. Way more recontouring to get a sporter look than a Mauser requires. Fewer parts to be found.

Then there is the bathutb on the rear bridge to deal with.

As Roscoe said, these are best used for really big cartridges due to their size. The action is wasted on lesser cartridges.

TAMU90DVM

(6/22/05 20:48)

Here are 2 pictures of the 1917 Remington I have started to work on. It is a lot of work but it is possible even for a bubba. There is a lot of metal to remove with the mill - I got lucky with this one because someone had already ground down the ears on the rear ring and drilled for a scope.

The work I have done so far is: get the original pitted 30-06 barrel off, open up the bolt face, weld on a new bolt handle, open up the feed rails slightly, open up the action front and rear so a H&H length mag box will fit, contour the feed ramp, mill away the front edge of the rear ring to provide clearance for loading and ejecting and mill off what was left of the left side of the stripper clip guide. It will hold four 416 Rem Mag rounds and so far in all the testing (without the barrel) it feeds all 4 at any speed while being held at any angle - and no rounds pop out of the magazine until they are supposed to. The real test will be how it feeds with the barrel in place. The feed rails are not "wavey" like they look in the picture - I think the flash is creating an illusion. There are a lot of tool marks still to be removed.

user posted image

user posted image

tinkerfive

(6/23/05 20:02)

Cap Dave

To expand on what Z said about the Eddystones...

Using Scotts photo....

In the bottom photo, if you look to the far right or the very

front of the receiver, you will notice that the diameter is the

same as in the middle where the scope base holes are.

It is not this way on an Eddystone.

The very front 1/4" is milled down to a thinner diameter.

This means that there is less metal there and likely harder

and more brittle once the receiver is hardened.

So the Winchester and Remington's like Scott's are less prone

to the cracking than the Eddystones.

1 Winchester 1917 and 1 Eddystone 1917 owner.

Tinker