Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Off topic tool question

AzRednek

Does anybody know an online source I might order one 7/8 inch 4 or 8 point socket?? It can't be ordered via Sears, Harbor Freight or Home Depot. Apx 30 years ago I used to sell tools. I checked with two wholesalers here in Phx, best I can find is to get it in a complete set at close to a thousand bucks.

McMaster-Carr has an online catalog at http://www.mcmaster.com/

They show a 3/8 drive, 7/8" 8 point socket no. 5544A116 for $7.01. Their 1/2 inch drive 8 pt in 7/8 inch is 5545A84 for $9.20.

They probably have deep well and impact sockets as well. I quit looking through the catalog when I found those two. If you need for me to look for something else, holler. I have their print catalog at work.

Clemson

Whew! Never thought they'd be that hard to find! Clemson beat me to it but after searching Proto, S-K, Snap-on, Craftsman, and a few more obscure brands - nothing! I have an old 1/2" drive set that goes to 1", I was going to offer to loan the 7/8" if you couldn't find anything but you can likely get a new one as cheap and faster than shipping mine back and forth across the country. BTW - my set is marked "Powercraft". Google turned up a bunch of tools with the powercraft name but nothing close to my old socket set. It came from an estate sale years ago.

THX Guys!! I'll likely order it through McMaster. I'm waiting to hear back from them. I don't like the idea of feeding credit card info untill I know the freight, handling fees or exact cost.

I found one on Snap-On and Matco websites but the prices are little steep, McMaster is apx 20 bucks cheaper. I was surprised that Craftsman doesn't go any larger than 3/4 on their 8 point. I'm trying to remove a clean-out fitting under the kitchen sink of a 55 year old house. It sets deep behind the cabinet and I can't get a wrench on it. The 85 year old renter has been dumping canned cat food down the drain. I got a snake back apx 8 feet and it is solidly plugged, worse than a lint build up in a laundry drain.

Morgan appreciate for the offer but I better add to the toolbox and hope I never need it again.

Get the whole set of 11 heat treated impact sockets 1/2" drive for $8.14.

That will include the 7/8" you want:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=801-0115

Thx for the help on this one. I wound up finding and buying an entire 1/2 drive set on ebay that included the odd-ball eight-point size I need. The entire cost is apx 25-25 bucks with shipping included. I also broke down and bought an electric snake via Harbor Freight. Now I have to keep my fingers crossed and hope everything arrives before that drain plugs up again. I was already back clearing another drain, I suspect the old lady as many renters often do has been using the toilet as a garbage disposal.