Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Are Turk 38 actions OK for sporterizing

TLynn

rwims

(6/21/05 14:54)

Reply Are Turk 38 actions OK for sporterizing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I enjoy reading everyone's comments and advice on the site. Everyone is eager to share their knowledge and I appreciate that.

I'm looking to restock my action supply and was wondering if the Turkish 1938 actions would be good for sporterizing. The prices are very reasonable if they are a suitable action. Please advise.

z1r

(6/21/05 15:04)

Reply Turk M38's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, let's assume we are talking about the K.Kale action. I wouldn't build a sporter out of a Turk reworked G98.

Be aware that the K.Kale actions are different and bring with them a few idiosyncrasies.

First off, they are a standard LR 98 sized action. However, they use barrels threaded to small ring specs. .980"x12 tpi vs 1.100"x12 tpi. That can limit you prethreaded barrel selection if it matters. On the other hand, if you have lathe access it allows you to obtain cheap Rem 700 takeoff barrels and rethread & chamber them.

Secondly, they have a small lip at the front of the receiver that retains the handguard. Most folks remove this.

The fit & finish, and some say heat treating, is not that of the German or Czech mausers.

That said, here is a sporter I built out of a Turk action & a Rem 700 bbl.

user posted image

It shoots way better than my Rem 700!

spec4 E4

(6/21/05 15:04)

Reply Re: Are Turk 38 actions OK for sporterizing

The Turk 38 is the same as the 98 but have the SR threads. So barrel are hard to find or you can get an LR or Remington barrel and rethread it. Also you have an lip in front of the receiver where the upper handguard slip over and under. and would look nice once remove. All other parts will fit from an LR. Also some question about building magnum round in the turk. But more I think about it, it has just the same amount of metal around the chamber area. But on the said of safety, I guest it is best not to do that.

spec.4

sonic1

(6/21/05 16:28)

i just got 5 from SOG on there 5 for 55.00 deal..ended up with

$60.00 each to my door if you have your C and R ..sell off

the stock and barrel.. gets those k kales down in my range

i have a lathe so i like the small ring ,,i can buy rem takeoffs.

or large ring barrels.some others will work to..so i find smallrings a plus..but a cz mauser its not..

beanstrung

(6/21/05 17:32)

There are several sellers on eBay that sell Remington (and other brand commercial) barrels that have been re-threaded for the small-ring Mauser thread. Do a search for "Mauser barrel" on eBay, and see what pops up. I've bought several, ranging in price from $40 to $85, in .243-Win, .308-Win, .30-06, and .22-250.

--------------------------------------------------------

What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

rwims

(6/21/05 19:51)

Thanks for the information guys. I was thinking of getting some of the u-fixems from Century, what are your thoughts on the u-fixems?

mod70

(6/21/05 19:59)

ezSupporter

Re: Are Turk 38 actions OK for sporterizing

Anybody here done a mag on a k-kale? Seems somebody posted something about a 7 rem mag back before the hack attack but I don't remember if they were asking if it was wise or if they had already done it. Even though the metal is about the same combined thickness (thread gap) it seems to me there would be expansion of the chamber until the thread contact area between the barrel and receiver became great enough to contain it if, in fact it would, over time.

roscoedoh

(6/21/05 20:09)

Reply Shameless Plug - sorry Tony

I've got a Turk rethreaded 30-06 Rem barrel I'm looking to sell. If anyone is interested, let me know.

roscoedoh@yahoo.com

Jason

tinkerfive

(6/23/05 20:19)

About K.Kale magnums...

I'm planing on some (7MM , 300Win).

It's a large ring Mauser action.

I've yet to hear anyone question the metalurgy of the

receiver Vs. any other large ring Mauser action.

HOWEVER!

I have been cautioned that Turkish bolts can be soft.

Many K.Kales will have either Chek or German bolts.

I wouldn't build a magnum with a soft Turkish bolt.

I'm just relating what I've been told.

I hope it is reliable, because as I said, I hope to build

a magnum on a K.Kale one day.

Tinker

roscoedoh

(6/23/05 20:26)

tinker,

You could always get all your bolts and receivers together and get them recarburized....

There's bound to be a gunsmith in your area that knows about such things. If so, he/she may be able to direct you to a heat treater that works on Mausers. Blanchard's tends to run on the proud side of their prices since Kuhnhauser recommended them in his manual - so I've been told.

Just an idea.

Jason

z1r

(6/23/05 21:09)

I've found that the receivers tend to run soft. I've seen more than a few turks with setback. I won't build a Turk that I haven't first had heat treated properly.

If I was buiding a magnum that I wanted to last, I'd send it to someone like Blanchards. The trick to keeping costs down is to send them more than one receiver at a time.