Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Big gunfight

FC

Looks like ol' Tyrone bit off a little more than he could chew there.  Gotta love Tulsa.

Does make you think about bullet choices, though.  The daughter looked to have maybe a 380?  And the mother a revolver.  38?  Tyrone took several good hits, but it took a while for him to bleed out enough to slow down and stop the fight.  Kinda like the FBI's famous gun fight and decision to go to 10MM.

I would really like to know what calibers the ladies guns were. Not sure how many slugs he took but according to news video following the link, he was still alive. Ladies need 1911's.

Also a good chance Tyrone was high on drugs and didn't feel any pain. I saw a video a few years ago on a Cops type show. Showed a long haired junkie reported to be high on heroin, meth and smoking pot. Jump from a second story apt window. Got up and ran away after landing on a sidewalk. 

Looked like a .38 special and a .380. Probably good thing the daughter had a .380 or that bullet would have gone through Tyrone and into her mom. Too bad they didn't do a head shot.  FBI went to 10? It's all about bullet placement too. My wife dropped a German Shepherd with one shot to the neck with the .357 Sig, but I put four into a young pit bull and all I did was put him into a long bout of horrible pain.

Yeah, the FBI had a big shootout, in Florida, I think, with 357 Mags with their dumbed down loads, if I recall.  It went bad.  In their post-shootout analysis, they determined that they didn't have enough gun.  They did a big search and decided on the 10MM.  Then that was too much for the women and lesser men agents and they came up with a down-loaded 10mm.  That morphed into the 40 S&W, which is loaded to the same specs as the down-loaded 10mm, but with a shorter case. 

Doc I could be wrong but I think the FBI were using 9MM's in the Florida shot out. According to some net chatter they were shooting FMJ's but I've seen that disputed saying soft nose. I think the FBI going back to the 9MM after adopting the 10, later the 40 and back to 9 again. I can't buy their claim of improvements in bullet technology. My gut feeling they downsized so female agents could handle the recoil. 

A lady Postal Inspector I knew in the 90's carried a 40 Sig. She trained with other Feds and claimed her biggest shooting challenge was a 12ga. 

6 hours ago, FC said:

Looked like a .38 special and a .380. Probably good thing the daughter had a .380 or that bullet would have gone through Tyrone and into her mom. Too bad they didn't do a head shot.  FBI went to 10? It's all about bullet placement too. My wife dropped a German Shepherd with one shot to the neck with the .357 Sig, but I put four into a young pit bull and all I did was put him into a long bout of horrible pain.

Shot placement is a big factor. Several years ago I rolled a running Coyote with 38+P shot from a Rossi lever action. He was dead by the time I walked up to him about 20yds away. Being honest I felt guilty after shooting him for no reason. 

I think you are right, Az, I think they were 9's.  I should look for that article again.  Anyway, the 10's and even 40's were too much for them, so back to 9's again with wonder bullets. 

I think another reason for ditching the 10's and even the 40's was the wear on the weapon.  Even the original Colt 1911's in 10 weren't up to it.  I think the later ones were,  but I don't know how to tell the difference.  I think one of my neighbors was letting one off Sunday.  8 round, pistol, BIG pistol, from the sound.  Could have been a Desert Eagle in 44 or maybe a 1911 in 10, from the sound.  Not sure what other 8 shot semi-autos with some kind of magnum round there are.