Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Has anybody here built an AR from an 80% lower?

AzRednek

Been thinking about doing an AR or possibly a Glock. Doing some rough math I can't see a big if any savings money wise but I find the idea of building a paperless gun something to think about. Don't know if it's true or not. An acquaintance told me licensed gun smiths won't work on paperless guns. Anybody know if it's true??

Youtube videos make building an AR from an 80% lower look simple. Building an upper a bit more difficult. 

I'm working on one but too cold in my shop lately.

It's true, gunsmiths are required to log in a gun when it comes into their shop.

It' not rocket science but it is more difficult than sporterizing a mauser.

SGN/Firearms News has had several articles on doing it.  In one, the guy did it like 3 different ways and got a shootable rifle each time, including the simple way with a drill press and a vice.  I would think that making one from an 80% blank is more involved than putting together an upper.  You don't have to drill or mill or file much for the upper. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thx Rob, that tool from what I read looks like it would make the job simpler. I hope to go forward with the project but I have numerous things I need to get done before starting another project. I recently 86'd a family of deadbeats and the damage they left will be keeping me busy for several weeks. Don't want to put it off for to long as our politicians will probably be runnng interference before long. 

After thinking about the 80% vs 100% lower, my wife and I got dome good deals for lower before the shooting.  4 for $200(conservative), 5 at 39.99 each(4 conservative), then another 5 at 29.99 each(conservative).

Got

2-5.56 target 1:9 24" barrel

2-5.56 C.A.R 1:7

2-6.5 GRENDAL 24"

1-6.5 GRENDAL 20"

2-300 BLKOUT 16" CAR

2-7.62X39 16" CAR

1-6.8 SPC II 18" 

1-6.8 SPC II 16"

in the works, 3 lowers are already built up.

2-458 Socom

1- 5.56 24" 1:8 or 1:7 

And an friend got one while I was doing the NIC, he went thru the NIC as well.

1 hour ago, Dr.Hess said:

Hey Rob, be sure to see my thread on 300BO.  I finally got it nailed down using reloads at a cost of around 8 cents a pop.

Found it and read it.  Interesting.  I have yet to fire the 300Blkout. Might try an lighter buffer spring. But will keerp that in mind.  Right now I playing with the two issue upper i had built.  

1. 6.8 SPC II, inject the round but fail to load.  Thinking it short stoking.  Because I remove the gas block and handguard to install and sling swivel for an bipod.  Work great before, so the gas holes are not in line.

2.  6.5 Grendal, rounds are jamming.  When I open it, the buffer pop out without help.  So I change the retainer and the buffer.  Now it does not pop out.  S

See if that fix the problem.

Rob

With my limited skills I doubt I could build one any better than what comes from a factory or even the manufactures that don't make anything just assemble parts. Some might think I'm paranoid but I really like is the idea of having a paperless AR or a Glock.

I think a 300 BO launching a 220gr 30 cal bullet at subsonic velocity through a suppressor would be a cool toy. I've read net chatter claiming the combination lowers the decibel level well below to that of a 22RF. I wouldn't be surprised if the Military considered it for use by snipers. I've read during the Nam war both sides were using snipers armed with crossbows as a silent assasin's weapon. I bet a 300 BO would be just as if not more effective but give the sniper a longer distance to do the deed. 

• 2 months later...

Keep us posted on your project. Do you know if using the jig does one need a drill press or can it be done with a hand held drill?? I have a cheapie Harbor Freight drill press but it's been at least 10 or more years since I used it. 

That rig looks like it takes a small router.  If I understand the principal, there's a special bit with a bearing that rides along the jig.  You just make shallow cuts in the aluminum with the router, going a bit deeper each time, until you are done.  And use a drill press to do the hammer/trigger pin holes.  There are other jigs designed for drill presses.  You won't get as nice a finished receiver with those, but they say they will work fine. 

33 minutes ago, AzRednek said:

Keep us posted on your project. Do you know if using the jig does one need a drill press or can it be done with a hand held drill?? I have a cheapie Harbor Freight drill press but it's been at least 10 or more years since I used it. 

Can be done with a hand drill, just drill from each side and your fine.

Rob

32 minutes ago, Dr.Hess said:

Wow.  That's a very well thought out kit, Rob.  Two bills is a fair price.  Buys a lot of $50 receivers, though. Can't justify it on cost, but certainly can from a hobby perspective.

Well, no papers is always great.  Plus when finished with jig. you can always sell it of loan it out. 

Rob

I got the jig in and looks very easy to use.  but there are no imstructionscwith them.  so i went to the website and printed them off.  I read them and sound very easy to day but they only recommend using a few trim router.  I might rent the jig and router out after I am done. 

Rob