Military Firearm Restoration Corner

257 Bob extractor for Swede 96/38 ?

edjahar1942

I'm not real familiar with the Swedes.  Is the bolt close to one of the other Mausers, like a small ring or a Yugo?  If so, the stock extractor from that should work.  Can you take some exact measurements of your existing extractor?  Like from the clippy part in the middle to the claw, etc.  I can compare those measurements to a small ring and a large ring. 

For what it might be worth. My Czech Mauser originally chambered in 8X57, extracts 257 Roberts just fine. Is it possible your extractor is worn or broken?? I know mine is not a Sweed but I believe the Sweed cartridge is base on the .470-.473 rim. 

Don , thanks a bunch for the tip! You just saved me an extractor and let me finish a 7 mag I’d went just a little to far on a couple years ago . Figured I’d run across an extractor at a gun show and haven’t so I tried your little trick and I’m good to go !

thanks Jim

I was at The Big Tulsa Gun Show, biggest in the world, (go some time as a bucket-list event, really) and there was a guy selling Swedish Mausers and not much else.  I asked him what other Mauser extractors would work with a Swede and he said that a small ring, like 93 or 95, extractor "might work."