Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Video, St. Bubba's

FC

On 4/8/2018 at 5:42 AM, FC said:

Thanks. Every time I leave I'm in physical pain! 

I had the tiles analyzed for asbestos; there's none, thankfully!

That's good news. On a portion of my USPS delivery route about a hundred houses were leveled for a freeway. After the state discovered some of the houses had asbestos in caulk. They had to tent the suspect houses then send in a haz-mat team to remove it. A construction worker told me it cost about 10 grand per house just to remove the caulking. As you might have guessed it was EPA that demanded the extra work. All the houses had asbestos hot water heater exhaust tubes they simply removed. After EPA got involved they had to use haz-mat teams. I assume being the freeway is part of an interstate hwy the Feds likely foot the bill. 

I still remember taking the SAT at the Jr. College in Glendale, CA, GCC, when I was in high school in the late 70's.  There was a big curtain on the stage in the auditorium, with huge letters on it that said "asbestos."  Whoever put that curtain up or made it was very proud of it being asbestos.  Certainly fire proof as a safety measure.  Today, not so much.  I wonder what they did with that thing and when.

At the end of my time peddling auto parts, my bread and butter were brake shoes. Mechanics had always blasted brake shoe backing plates clean with air. After EPA had given the auto industry a time window to develop alternatives to asbestos brake shoes and pads. EPA also came up with some ridiculous methods of disposing of brake shoe dust in repair facilities. Most shops after the scare simply sprayed backing plates water and let it run into floor drains. I can't even guess how many brake shops I called on but I never saw any shop follow EPA regs. I can't recall the exact details but mechanics were to softly brush the dust into a plastic bag, wash with soap and water, catch water in plastic and dispose at an EPA approved facility. The EPA regs were pretty well considered a joke as the majority of airborne dust was on roads. Every time somebody stepped on their brake pedal they put some brake shoe dust in the air. 

Long after asbestos shoes and pads were banned. In the late 80's I restored three VW Beetles. Lacking power brakes one really had to stand on the pedal for metallic shoes and organic shoes easily faded. Discovered asbestos brakes were still widely available and manufactured by an American company Bendix in Mexico. Best of all if I brought cores with me it only cost about six and change per axle.