Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Army .45 training film

FC

A former coworker retired from the Navy was one of the guys that guided jets off and on an aircraft carrier. By the time hearing protection was mandatory he claimed a 50% hearing loss. Prior to the ear muffs all they used were cigarette filters in their ears. He claimed he fought VA for several years before getting a disability rating and paid for heating aids. 

I found some ear muffs on amazon that are really good.  They are rated way above anything else out there.  Those over ear plugs are what I use now.  If you are interested, I'll find the link. 

I saw some places at the Tulsa show doing a casting process on silicone ear plugs.  I think you can get a home kit for it.  I'm thinking about it.

The silicone plugs worked well for me but after a few years the shape of my ears changed or the plugs shrunk. Currently I use foam plugs underneath muffs. Friend has some heavy duty muffs I believe he got from Graingers. They're a bit heavy and uncomfortable. Friend claimed the muffs are what is recommended for somebody operating a pneumatic jack hammer.