Military Firearm Restoration Corner

.17HMR tore up a squirrel

FC

With two cat hoarders on my street I'd like to hire you. 

A former g/f's father living in a small town in rural Idaho treated tree squirrels like pets. Gave them names and hand fed them every morning. After the squirrel population exploded a neighbor filed a lawsuit against him for damage to his house. I parted company with the g/f and never found out how it ended. 

I used to feed a squirrel in Omaha peanuts. He got pretty fat.

.17 mach 2-  I accidentally bought those thinking they were for my rifle. Wikipedia:  "Following the success of the .17 HMR, the .17 Hornady Mach 2 was introduced in early 2004. The .17 HM2 is based on the .22 LR (slightly longer in case dimensions) case necked down to .17 caliber using the same bullet as the HMR but at a velocity of approximately 2,100 feet per second (640 m/s) in the 17-grain (1.1 g) polymer tip loading."  .17 HMR is from the .22 magnum case. 2650 fps. Peters out at 200 yards.

9 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

Those things totaled one of my cars, and have damaged several others.  I now spray 1 Million Scoville unit hot sauce around the engine bay of everything at oil change time.

My blind buddy and his wife got stranded from a squirrel building a stash in his car's air cleaner inlet. Don't know how effective on squirrels. I've had problems twice with groundhogs. Both times using poison mouse pellets they disappeared. 

In my now deceased the uncle's Los Angeles house they had big problems with squirrels. The biggest problem the squirrels were eating insulation off overhead electric and phone wires. In typical California BS an animal rights group ran interference to poison. Didn't make any difference to the animal lovers when people would lose power or phones sometimes for days. The city and phone company eventually restrung the wires with an insulation the squirrels wouldn't eat and provided animal proof garbage containers. According to my uncle neighborhood Mexicans using pellet guns and bait eliminated the rest. My uncle claimed the Mexicans were barbequeing and eating the squirrels. 

I hit a coon with a SKS once.  It looked a lot like your squirrel, Tony.

My wife has a squirrel proof bird feeder.  There's a cage around the actual food.  I should have taken a picture of it with a squirrel inside pigging out.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally had enough squirrel destruction and started The War on Squirrels.  A single shot 22LR has been working great.  One Shot, One Kill.  Interestingly, I have found that the very best squirrel repellent is a dead squirrel laying on the ground.